Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

The reason I am making yet another thread is I have no idea what the developers are doing with regard to issue tracking. Since the Roku Media Player update has a LOT of broken features and bugs, and they don't seem to be rolling it back this time, I have no idea where to be reporting new bugs and issues found. It doesn't seem likely developers are going to see posts buried in the many different threads on the topic, where each thread has a lot of chatter not directly relating to found bugs.

Anyways, I just found this pretty major bug in the "new" Roku Media Player (version 5.1, build 3):

On MKV files with multi audio tracks, it is no longer possible to play anything other than the default track. The original Roku Media Player allowed users to select the track, and even displayed the track names as entered in MKVToolNix/MKVMerge. Now, on the menu brought up by pressing "*" during playback, the "Audio track <Default>" option is greyed out, and when highlighting the option, the text above the menu says, "Only the default audio track is available".

MKV was being played via network DLNA. It had three audio tracks - 5.1 surround, stereo, and commentary. Original Roku Media Player handled it fine. Other DLNA clients (smart TV, Blu-Ray player) also handle it fine.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

You need to get with the program Brother.  Here's how it works: 

1)        Roku developers break something on your Roku via an unnecessary software update without your consent/approval;

2)        You complain about it and they do nothing:

3)        You work with other Roku posters to come up with a solution that requires a great deal of effort and customization on your part;

4)        Your efforts result in a semi-workable solution that lets you utilize your Roku device for a month or two;

5)        Roku developers render your solution unworkable via another unnecessary software update without your consent/approval;

6)        Return to step 2.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player 5.1 update breaks multiple audio track selection in MKV files

Well to be nasty about it, I have a solution to the cycle of Break -> Work Around - Break.

Give my money to Amazon and get a Fire TV.

Enough people do that and the cycle will break when Roku runs out of money...

Like I said, nasty but that's how it works in this world.

Mark Gosdin

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You hit the nail on the head Mark.

Disconnected my Roku Ultra from the internet back in May and use the old version of Roku Media Player to play from USB.  I use the Amazon Fire TV for streaming. 

0 Kudos
Level 11

What a horrible situation... the worst thing for the company's software is the company itself.

@R-3Dreadnought wrote:

You hit the nail on the head Mark.

Disconnected my Roku Ultra from the internet back in May and use the old version of Roku Media Player to play from USB.  I use the Amazon Fire TV for streaming. 

0 Kudos