Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buckshanks
Level 7

Digital audio output

Is there a Roku streaming device that has a digital audio output? I know the TV's do (I own one) but I received a new soundbar as a gift and it does not have an HDMI input.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Digital audio output

They all have digital audio output (HDMI provides that).

You are probably asking if any have Optical output - only the 4640 (2016 Ultra) has that.

Any Roku model can connect to your TV (brand/model unknown) via HDMI and the TV *should* output at least PCM 2.0 to anything connected to the Optical output.

However, if you want full 5.1 support, the 4800 (2020 Ultra) has a Dolby decoder, and thus can transcode/convert DD+ to DD for output via HDMI; if you connect it to your TV, and your TV can pass DD from HDMI to Optical, then will get 5.1 output from all supported apps/content.  Again, this is only for 5.1 support (otherwise, if you dont need 5.1, any Roku model should do).

You should probably check what HDMI>Optical passing capabilities your TV has (PCM 2.0, DD, DD+ etc).

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos