Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

screen flashing when component updates

Hello -
I'm using the OverhangPanelSetScene in a small app and I'm seeing a lot of the screen flashing when one of the panels contents gets updated.
This is on Roku 3.  I'm going to try stripping out things to see if I can eliminate the blinking but would love to know if anyone else has experienced this, causes and solutions?
tyvmia,
Joe
aspiring
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: screen flashing when component updates

well having now re-read the doc, I suspect and hope the answer has something to do with me not listening to itemunfocused to hide panels and not using replaceChild to replace existing nodes with new nodes, rather than just updating the existing nodes contents.  Will give that a stab today, cheers all.
aspiring
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

All I noticed with the screen flashes is - if you have everything on the screen set up within the same component, anything which changes in that component causes the entire screen to redraw.  If you will only be updating a single item on the screen then split that into it's own discrete component, and then when you update that item it will only redraw that little piece.

As a second thing - the first time a drawn screen is populated the screen flashes.  I think that is by design in the firmware.  But once that first flash happens subsequent changes don't flash the screen.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Thanks destruk!
Following the docs and using the "nextpanel" field I have the flashing greatly reduced, but it's still apparent, when nodes are first added to the panelset.  Wonder if I'm doing it wrong or if there's a trick to it, or this is just an unavoidable side effect of OverHangPanelSetScene, or maybe of every component if it's caused by what you're saying "the first time a drawn screen is populated the screen flashes"
aspiring
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I looked at it for a couple of weeks and couldn't figure out a fix for the initial flash.  So I moved on to other problems on the list. 😞
0 Kudos