Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nithyaak
Visitor

running text display

Hi,
is it possible to display a running text in Roku? the one similar to the news channel at the bottom that texts runs from right to left? is it doable in roku?

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
dcrandall
Visitor

Re: running text display

I believe there's a customizable video player 'roVideoPlayer'. Your best bet, I would think, is to encode that into a video stream.
0 Kudos
nithyaak
Visitor

thanks. I don't want to encode it into the video stream. basically i want to frequently query (e.g. RSS news feed) and get the latest news feed and would like to display as a rolling text. Not quite sure how can i do that?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"nithyaak" wrote:
thanks. I don't want to encode it into the video stream. basically i want to frequently query (e.g. RSS news feed) and get the latest news feed and would like to display as a rolling text. Not quite sure how can i do that?

As dcrandall mentioned, you'd need to write a custom video player using roVideoPlayer and roScreen. Not a small task, if you want to support onscreen controls and trick play.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

If you want to have a video and add text to the bottom of it, that's advanced stuff. If you're just talking about having text on some screen that is not a video screen and there no video in sight, that's more approachable but still fully custom and not easy work.

Maybe drawText() to a very wide but short region, then gradually offset the region to a certain portion of the screen, then rinse and repeat.
0 Kudos
nithyaak
Visitor

Thanks for the responses and suggestion. I will spend some time to write the custom video player as suggested and see if i can achieve what i wanted.
0 Kudos