Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacesparks
Visitor

How to add password to Private Channel?

I just created my first private channel, and I wanted to know if there is a way to prompt a user to input a password before they can add the channel.

I would like to add that this is a project for my boss. Any help is greatly appreciated. I could really use a raise.... a break.... a win... you get the idea.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: How to add password to Private Channel?

"jacesparks" wrote:
I just created my first private channel, and I wanted to know if there is a way to prompt a user to input a password before they can add the channel

No. But since you need to know the install code to add the channel, that effectively is a password. There's no list of private channels published, so only the people you give the code to will know it.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
jacesparks
Visitor

No. But since you need to know the install code to add the channel, that effectively is a password. There's no list of private channels published, so only the people you give the code to will know it.

Thank you so much for your response. I greatly appreciate it.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Actually there are a number of private channel directories
On the Internet. Just Google ROKU private channel listings
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Actually there are a number of private channel directories
On the Internet. Just Google ROKU private channel listings

Ok. But a channel doesn't get into those directories unless the owner submits it.
i should have said Roku doesn't publish a list.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Anyone who added the channel 'could' add it to a private channel list, give the install code to a friend, etc etc - so at least by having the channel itself prompt for a password you could track IPs or something to prevent widespread abuse of your bandwidth. This could be done with a few keyboard screens at the start of when your app loads to prompt for a user name and password, check it against your server, and deny unauthorized/untrusted users. As it's a private channel as well, you could have a master list of device serial numbers who can run it, or a designated approval list of IPs accessing your server as well as tracking the user agent of incoming requests. As to a 'walkthru' on doing this - good luck. Maybe start with the basics - get a user login system working first, and ask for little pieces of the puzzle you encounter issues with as you see them.
0 Kudos