Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmn
Visitor

Re: roWebKit?

I somehow missed this great thread that started a couple of years ago: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74235&p=456721

...which makes some of the points I made here, and shows why it would be a good idea to ADD webkit capabilities to Roku besides the existing BrightScript standard components and SceneGraph
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: roWebKitScreen?

@bmn, you seem to have missed my note earlier:
i just opened http://www.roku.com in incognito Chrome tab and w/o clicking anything, that ate 130MB.
roWebKit? ... ro_i_dont_think_so!

Fact is, all *.roku.com web sites (spare forums.roku.com) are memory hogs - load slow, do not animate well, sometimes miss things, other times the tab may bomb. Why is that, how would you explain it?

I can think of 2 reasons off-hand - either (a) the Co has bad web developers or (b) developers are good but javascript UI is a disaster. Which one do you think is the case? (either choice will make good further argument against providing a pret-a-porter web browser component in Roku streamers)
0 Kudos