Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ratish
Visitor

roScreen and other Roku Components together

Hi

Can rokucomponents like roGridScreen and roScreen exist in memory together? There is a situation in my application where I want to keep the roGridScreen object alive but at the same time using roScreen for my 2D rendering. Will roku firmware be able to handle bot of them without any issue? My target Roku Box is Roku XS.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
dcrandall
Visitor

Re: roScreen and other Roku Components together

When this has come up, one of the big "this is why it can't" is that input happens to one screen or the other, and it's really difficult to talk to both of them at once with messaging, even under the best situations.

I think in general it just outright doesn't work.
0 Kudos
ratish
Visitor

I understand. My app navigates from the roGridScreen to the roScreen. I am not trying to keep both of them active for interaction. The intention for keeping the roGridScreen
alive when navigating to roScreen was to load it fast when I return from roScreen. What I would like to know is if this is technically acceptable.
0 Kudos
dcrandall
Visitor

Oh, well, shoot then, totally feasable as long as you aren't hoping both are up at the same time.

In one, wherever you feel comfortable, do a:

newScreen = CreateObject("roGridScreen")

newScreen.show()

and it just shows-up on the stack overlapping, from my understanding.
0 Kudos