Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnBasedow
Visitor

roPosterScreen Slow With Long Description in metadata

The description for some videos can be fairly long (1000+ characters), I've noticed that when I don't truncate the Description text for these videos, the roPosterScreen navigation (left and right) is extremely sluggish.

This is only the case if I store the text in the Description content metadata item, if I put it in a non-displayable field, the lag isn't there.

(I need the full description because some of my users want to be able to view the it).

I imagine it has to do with calculating how much text will fit on the screen, without an upper bound on the calculation.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: roPosterScreen Slow With Long Description in metadata

Why not truncate it in the Description field, but still store the full version in a different field? Then, when the user wants to view the full description, you can pull it from the other field (I usually add a field called Synopsis, but you can obviously call it whatever you want). If you want it visible on the springboard, then just swap the Description field out before setting the springboard's content.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
JohnBasedow
Visitor

Re: roPosterScreen Slow With Long Description in metadata

Thanks for the response!

Why not truncate it in the Description field, but still store the full version in a different field? Then, when the user wants to view the full description, you can pull it from the other field (I usually add a field called Synopsis, but you can obviously call it whatever you want). If you want it visible on the springboard, then just swap the Description field out before setting the springboard's content.

That's basically what I've done as a workaround. But it's just that: a workaround. I truncate the "actual" description to 300 characters, and store the full description in another field. Then when they want to view it, I just reference the other field.

It adds complexity to my channel where there shouldn't be a need for complexity. :?
0 Kudos