Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljunkie
Visitor

roGridScreenEvent - isRemoteKeyPressed()

On the grid screen I have tested and read that isRemoteKeyPressed() does not give all the key presses as it seems to all be handled internally. Please correct me if I am wrong. If this is wrong, then the reat of my questions are not applicable.

I would like to know when an items focus has changed instead of knowing when an item has been focused (isListItemFocused) - is this possible?

I have worked with timers on the isListItemFocused() event as a workaround, however it's not clean and there are two issue big issues with this.
1) if one holds the button down initially, isListItemFocused() is never called (make sense, but how do I know they clicked a button?)
2) if one clicks right once, and then holds down the button, I can know the initially focus happend, but I can't tell if the end user is still scrolling.

I hope this makes sense. I am basically trying to key off of an inital keypress, specifically the d-pad and fwd/rwd buttons on a GridScreen.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
ljunkie
Visitor

Re: roGridScreenEvent - isRemoteKeyPressed()

Anyone? I am guessing the amazon channel is either not using a normal grid screen anymore or some undocumented feature. You can see it in action when you view movies on a grid screen. When you scroll, click left/right/up/down, the description box will hide. As you can see it hides before it focuses on the next item, so they are in someway noticing the keypress on the remote.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"ljunkie" wrote:
Anyone? I am guessing the amazon channel is either not using a normal grid screen anymore or some undocumented feature. You can see it in action when you view movies on a grid screen. When you scroll, click left/right/up/down, the description box will hide. As you can see it hides before it focuses on the next item, so they are in someway noticing the keypress on the remote.

I think that's related to the grid style they're using. That's not their BRS intercepting an event.

Which keys raise isRemoteKeyPressed() varies by screen type. Generally only keys not handled by the firmware raise the event.
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
"ljunkie" wrote:

I think that's related to the grid style they're using. That's not their BRS intercepting an event.

Which keys raise isRemoteKeyPressed() varies by screen type. Generally only keys not handled by the firmware raise the event.

I definitely understand the available keys per screen type varies, that's why I am wondering how they were able to do this. Is this a documented grid style? I am not seeing anything in the SDK about it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"ljunkie" wrote:
I definitely understand the available keys per screen type varies, that's why I am wondering how they were able to do this. Is this a documented grid style? I am not seeing anything in the SDK about it. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the mixed-aspect-ratio grid hides/shows the BoB when focus changes because its position changes when moving between rows with different size posters. It's done by the firmware, there's no special BRS code making it happen.

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ringasVoid
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuChris" wrote:
"ljunkie" wrote:

I'm pretty sure the mixed-aspect-ratio grid hides/shows the BoB when focus changes because its position changes when moving between rows with different size posters. It's done by the firmware, there's no special BRS code making it happen.

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ringasVoid

In my experience, it only hides/reshows the BoB when changing rows with different aspect ratios. I'm not sure how Amazon accomplishes the hide/reshow on every focus change, even within the same row.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

Yea, the first thing I checked was the mixed-aspect-ratio. It does not hide the BoB. I am guessing this must be an undocumented feature.
0 Kudos