Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mansoor
Visitor

private channel for my self

Hi,
I have recently bought ROKU and would like to know

1) If it is possible to create a private channel just for my self to view free TV streams. So there are number of websites where you can see tv channels. I want to create a private channel on ROKu and point those websites to watch it on ROKU

2) Again for my self only, I want to know if its possible to create a private channel to watch VOD from a website..

If the above is possible than please let me know how to do that.. I understand that you need SDK for this.. but whats after that...

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards
Mansoor
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: private channel for my self

If you want a private channel for yourself - you can make it do anything it's capable of by enabling developer mode on your roku and uploading the code to it. There's no reason for you to put it on the roku server as a private channel at all.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Assuming the content is in a compatible format and the website has an API or some other way for your channel to access the content programmatically, then both are possible.

The best way to get started is to download the SDK and start experimenting with the example code (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36014). There are also a couple different places you can look for online tutorials (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=39944). There's a lot of useful information right here in the forum as well.
0 Kudos
mansoor
Visitor

Ok so it's not as simple as creating a channel and providing the link of an external website ?

Is there any other way for example running a server at home ... But don't want to download the stuff, just linking it to an external website?
Many thanks
Mansoor
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

The Roku plays files, not websites. Links that the the Roku follows are the paths to a specific file, simply a url to a webpage or site won't work. Really the best advice was given already, download the documentation on the SDK as it will be able to answer alot of the questions you have and even some you haven't thought of yet
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

can you provide links to some of these websites that you want to link to?

roku only supports one live streaming format: HLS

all others are just video files that are in a compatible format that the roku can play.

however, there are many channels with loads of content other than netflix. some are in the channel store but most others are private channels that you can google to find the codes and add to your roku.if you are looking for certain types of contents, feel free to ask here. i am sure most will be happy to help.
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
0 Kudos