Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MazeWizzard
Visitor

New Remote for 3.0????

Sorry if this has been covered, a quick scan didn't show anything.

Since 3.0 is targeted, at least in part, at 2D gaming, and Roku has announced gaming in the blog.... What's the deal with the user interface... specifically the remote? Are there any plans to have a joystick, trackball, keyboard or other such interface?

Would be nice to have more than up/down/left/right/OK type of stuff (there's more buttons, I know, but you get the idea).

Hmmmm?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: New Remote for 3.0????

All of the articles and blogs about the upcoming Roku version of Angry Birds mention new hardware coming, and a few mention a new controller, so I think it's a safe bet that there will be something more game friendly available.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
MazeWizzard
Visitor

That's my assumption too. I have not heard about any specifics yet, though. Just curious. There is a blog entry about 3.0:

We’re excited to announce that Angry Birds will be coming to Roku later this summer. We believe that the TV will become a huge market for casual gaming and as Anthony Wood, Roku’s founder and CEO said, “just as we were the first to enable Netflix to stream instantly to the TV, we intend to be the catalyst for transforming the way people play casual games on the biggest screen in the home.”

While we can’t yet share all the details of our upcoming products and future SDK releases, we are ready to discuss how you can get started with casual gaming on Roku today.

The upcoming release of the 3.0 software will add significantly to the capabilities of the Roku player’s support for game development by incorporating BrightScript’s new 2D graphics functionality. The 2D graphics functionality provides advanced animation and compositing with optimum performance on Roku hardware. While it was designed primarily for games, it can also be used to create new and unique interfaces and video channels. While games like Angry Birds will require additional SDK features, games written with the 3.0 SDK will work on all current hardware as well as future products.

The 3.0 SDK is just the first step in our efforts to bring casual gaming to Roku. If you would like to discuss building games or other applications for current or future Roku product please email us at partners@roku.com.

-Patrick

but it doesn't specifically mention new hardware, other than in a future compatibility context for 3.0. Some mention a new controller? Must have missed it.

BTW. I think that Roku is really on to something here. A < $100 box (current hardware) can turn any TV into a "Smart TV". Separates the "smarts" from the display (as compared to the the integrated smart TVs), works on older TVs, and adding some gaming capability is fantastic. I'm anxiously looking forward to seeing what the Roku crew comes up with next!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"MazeWizzard" wrote:
Some mention a new controller? Must have missed it.

Here's one reference to it, albeit secondhand: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40231#p268895
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos