Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tifroz
Streaming Star

no trickPlayBar after pausing video programmatically

Using the Video roSGNode, the trickPlayBar and bufferingBar do show up when appropriate as long as one uses the Roku remote to control the video with pause/seek. However when pausing/seeking programmatically they don't show up at all.

What am I missing?

As a reference, here is the doc for the video node's trickPlayBar & bufferingBar 

What I have tried: I experimented by executing the following code when a video pause event is fired...with this, some elements of the trickPlayBar do show up, but the trickPlayBar clearly wasn't meant to be used that way because it's very buggy (background is missing, time is off, elements will only show up if the trickPlayBar was previously shown at least once using the remote etc...)

m.videonode.trickPlayBar.visible = true

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4

Re: no trickPlayBar after pausing video programmatically

The Video node UI should be considered as a layer on top of the video content being played, and that UI controls the underlying video playback. The assumption is that if the channel is directly controlling the state of the video playback, then the channel will display its own UI, rather than leveraging the built-in UI provided with the Video node. Effectively, this is as-designed, and perhaps the documentation should be updated to reflect that.

What are you trying to do?
0 Kudos
tifroz
Streaming Star

Not what I wanted to hear - but thanks for the response!

Our channel's video content can be controlled from our mobile app as well as from the Roku remote (a fairly large number of users seem to like interacting primarily with their mobile device as it is easier to search & find content that way - but of course we support the Roku remote as well).

Other than the platform's limitation, there is no reason for us to re-invent the wheel by coding a trickPlayBar or a bufferBar that would simply duplicate the built-in functionality (for consistency sake we do want the effect of a "pause" event from the mobile app to be the same as a "pause" event from the Remote)
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

You absolutely want to avoiding coding your own trickplay feature. Believe me.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

For resolving your original issue - look over this thread - you'll be able to use the built-in trickplay bar and tell it when to display and when not to., in order to link operation to your external/3rd party control system.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=101622
0 Kudos