Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: model #'s

Hm. You can't possibly really care whether OpenGL is present since there is no API to access it -- I think what you really want to know is whether the graphics performance exceeds a certain level. If some future Roku doesn't have OpenGL but has blindingly fast 2D graphics performance, you'd lump it in with the OpenGL models, correct? But what do you do if you find that OpenGL is not present?

For the memory size, are you using that to determine how many bitmaps to cache?

--Mark
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Hm. You can't possibly really care whether OpenGL is present since there is no API to access it -- I think what you really want to know is whether the graphics performance exceeds a certain level. If some future Roku doesn't have OpenGL but has blindingly fast 2D graphics performance, you'd lump it in with the OpenGL models, correct? But what do you do if you find that OpenGL is not present?

For the memory size, are you using that to determine how many bitmaps to cache?

--Mark

Well there are only 5 platforms on which you can rotate an object an arbritary amount- the ones with OpenGL. I surely do care about that. And yes the amount of memory matters when you are dealing with big images or whether you can cross dissolve between screens or plenty of other things.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Well there are only 5 platforms on which you can rotate an object an arbritary amount- the ones with OpenGL. I surely do care about that. And yes the amount of memory matters when you are dealing with big images or whether you can cross dissolve between screens or plenty of other things.

Aha!
That is a good one, i thought about that too - the ifDraw2D.DrawRotatedObject(), which un-documented-ly rotates to non-right angles on OGLES models.

I see said method returns a Boolean - can that be used to test? I mean, ii remember on DirectFB models it does not draw the object at all if theta mod 90 <> 0 - but does it return False there? Can someone check pls... i am getting tired of testing things today.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
I mean, ii remember on DirectFB models it does not draw the object at all if theta mod 90 <> 0 - but does it return False there?

It does not, but I suspect, deep down inside, you already knew that.. 😉

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I think what you really want to know is whether the graphics performance exceeds a certain level.

Is there a way to test that?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
I mean, ii remember on DirectFB models it does not draw the object at all if theta mod 90 <> 0 - but does it return False there?

It does not, but I suspect, deep down inside, you already knew that.. 😉

No, that's not it. I honestly felt it very likely to return False when it could not draw it due to "unacceptable" angle. After all, why else does it return Boolean ?

C'mon now... you think me that unwholesome?
"I am not a pessimist. Just a well-informed optimist" 8-)

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I think what you really want to know is whether the graphics performance exceeds a certain level.

Is there a way to test that?

+1
If not .hasFeature(), can we at least get the bug fixed in DrawRotatedObject(): make it return False when it could not draw at non-90 rotation?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
I honestly felt it very likely to return False when it could not draw it due to "unacceptable" angle.

That's the thing, it does draw it, just at a 0 degree rotation (doesn't even round it to the nearest 90).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
I honestly felt it very likely to return False when it could not draw it due to "unacceptable" angle.

That's the thing, it does draw it, just at a 0 degree rotation (doesn't even round it to the nearest 90).

This topic popped when i was searching on our prior discussions of ifDraw rotation angles on OGL vs non-OGL models... very much a current subject, given the RSG. So anyway, i was asked to do a check how is that performing now and apparently it behaves differently now!

Specifically, the DirectFB models these days "round up" the non-multiple-of-90 angles to the closest 90 degree notch and do rotate to that angle. With a cut-off at 45 degrees (45 degrees going towards the next click for some raisin). A behavior that makes more sense.
More details at http://chat.stackoverflow.com/rooms/125 ... les-models
0 Kudos
Rcosta
Visitor

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
The letter definitions at the end of model numbers were posted on the General forums a while back:

R means retail
X means online
EU mean Europe (UK, Ireland)

Thus, they can be generally ignored.

C. Shawn Smith

Shawn, As I know that there is a need and desire for a knowledge base. Wouldn't a sticky to define the model #'s be advantageous for the users of this forum? I know that there is a Wikipedia page that describes the models with other information such as CPU and hardware features. The Wikipedia page does not define software features between the models such as "on-the-fly" DD+ to DD transcoding that is supported in the Ultra, but not in the Roku4. That would be a helpful matrix as a purchasing decision could be made to define specific feature sets between the models.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD
0 Kudos