Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

local network address

Is there anyway to get the local network address without having the user type it in ? Maybe in the new SDK ?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DeftOne
Visitor

Re: local network address

Are you talking about the local network address of the Roku, or some other device connected to the network (PC, NAS, etc.)?
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Need the address of the connection between the Roku and a user's router. It's normally something like 192.168.0.1
0 Kudos
DerekHelps
Visitor

If what you are wanting is a way to rename local IP Address and access their web interfaces by typing words into your browser you could try altering the hosts file to include a line like:

192.168.0.10 rokuplayer.dvp

path on Windows is:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I very well may be misundertstanding the question, sorry if irrelevant.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Can you explain why you want the address of the router? I can't think of anything you could do with that address that all routers will respond to, except maybe an ICMP ping.

--Mark
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

I need the base address of the local network to scan for a server running on a user's computer. I have a IP scanner set up to do this but the user has to know the local internet base address . The only way to find it out, is for the user to open the settings/device window on the Roku box. I'm trying to eliminate this scanning step for the user.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

The info you need is not the router IP address but rather the local address and netmask. I don't think we have any sort of ifconfig type of utility at this time, though I've logged the request to add it to the SDK in a future release (no guarantees, though).

Patrick
0 Kudos