Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

[fixed] eval("return") = RebootSystem()

My latest YAWRR: eval("return") restarts the player. So short, at 14 chars it kills the fun of future code-golfing for the shortest reboot sequence.

How the heck do i find these, you may ask. Well, i was debugging some code and it occurred to me (BASIC childhood memories) that i can exit the nested execution by just typing "return" in the console, and so i tried:
BrightScript Debugger> return          
UNKNOWN ERROR (runtime error &he2) in ...AATjqxRj/pkg:/source/main.brs(24)
BrightScript Debugger> Connection closed by foreign host.
For some reason it popped 2 nested levels and the error shows at the 3rd/top, in main(). What is this E2 error code, i could not find it in bslBrightScriptErrorCodes()?

Looking at the backtrace, i saw something suspicious. I doubt is related - likely a separate buglet - but will mention it just in case. One of the nested functions was shown with the wrong signature:

Function test() As Object
file/line: /tmp/plugin/LDAAAAcGXdAR/pkg:/source/main.brs(27)
The actual function definition is "sub Test(aa=invalid as Object):" - its return is void, so it should have been shown as
Function test(aa As Object) As Void
I think it was the optional param (=invalid) that confuses the dumper.
I am having difficulty finding where optional params are documented in RTFM... but somehow know of them; was it from examples only?!
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: eval("return") = RebootSystem()

FWIW, seems to have been quietly fixed: eval("return") does not cause reboot anymore on current fw 3 and 5.
0 Kudos