Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omtic
Visitor

eclipse brightscript file syntax highlight

Hello, I started to use your plugin with eclipse, btw thanks for a huge and nice work, and have a little question:
how to change default black color of text ? Searched all over the colors settings. This color is not in plugin setting. And global default colors also don't work.

Would be thankful for any ideas!

P.S. Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, Version: Luna Service Release 1a (4.4.1) and BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201408081014 com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.feature.group Roku Inc.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: eclipse brightlight script file syntax highlight

Technically it would be
window-prefrences-general-editors-text editors-foreground/background. Changing the foreground works on some editors and not others. To even change the selection you have to uncheck system default.
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: eclipse brightscript file syntax highlight

There is also some discussion here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2059 ... ditor-text
0 Kudos
omtic
Visitor

Technically it would be
window-prefrences-general-editors-text editors-foreground/background. Changing the foreground works on some editors and not others. To even change the selection you have to uncheck system default.

This is not working for bright script files. For readme or any other file I can change background and foreground text color, but for *.brs only background working, and text color is always black, something is overriding it or what? o_O

I searched all colors that are black in preferences: editors, java, xml, global ... etc, and nothing is used by it.

There is also some discussion here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2059 ... ditor-text

Maybe bright script plugin syntax highlight override text foreground, but in preferences you can't change it.

P.S. I tried to use Plugin Spy, but for now it didn't helped.

0 Kudos
cbauer
Visitor

Has anyone come up with a solution to this in the recent weeks?
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

"cbauer" wrote:
Has anyone come up with a solution to this in the recent weeks?

I think it's worth mentioning that Sublime Text 3 has a brightscript addon which has syntax highlighting, jump to symbol, code folding, and pretty much everything else you'd expect from a good IDE.

The only real advantage to using the eclipse plugin is the integrated build system -- but if you're comfortable with command line, there is a Makefile which allows you to install and package quite easily (I find it simpler and more reliable than the eclipse installation process).

Eclipse might suit your needs better, but IMHO sublime is worth a look. Cheers.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

"Rek" wrote:
The only real advantage to using the eclipse plugin is the integrated build system

For me, the real advantage to using the eclipse plugin is complete project management. Not sure if sublime is that advanced. Don't have it, but from the screenshots it just appears to be a text editor. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

"NewManLiving" wrote:
"Rek" wrote:
The only real advantage to using the eclipse plugin is the integrated build system

For me, the real advantage to using the eclipse plugin is complete project management. Not sure if sublime is that advanced. Don't have it, but from the screenshots it just appears to be a text editor. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "complete project management". Sublime has a file browser, and commands to search for symbols across multiple files.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Eclipse has a project outliner that brings in the entire workspace, anything In your project can be included in the project tree. This means all file types in your channel. JSON XML images video can all be associated with a plugin or another program on your device. So it's easy to get into these files and edit them without bringing up seperate applicatons or maneuvering through other windows to get to these applications. You can also open up multiple projects to look at other code. You can build a repository and link that into all your projects. Then there is the outliner which is a tree view of the functions, variables and objects of all files that are open. This allows you to quickly see and get to any line in your brs file. Then there is the built in debugger which allows you to click on and open the offensive file and go right to the line. You can then debug. There is the packager which generates all that you need to create a package (although I have not used this feature ) automatic export. Selecting the box IP in a dropdown. You can quickly swith to other boxes on your television to do testing. There are so many things. You can drag and dock the various panels anywhere you like. In a nutshell it is what it is an IDE. Integrated development environment
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Eclipse has a project outliner that brings in the entire workspace, anything In your project can be included in the project tree. This means all file types in your channel. JSON XML images video can all be associated with a plugin or another program on your device. So it's easy to get into these files and edit them without bringing up seperate applicatons or maneuvering through other windows to get to these applications. You can also open up multiple projects to look at other code. You can build a repository and link that into all your projects. Then there is the outliner which is a tree view of the functions, variables and objects of all files that are open. This allows you to quickly see and get to any line in your brs file. Then there is the built in debugger which allows you to click on and open the offensive file and go right to the line. You can then debug. There is the packager which generates all that you need to create a package (although I have not used this feature ) automatic export. Selecting the box IP in a dropdown. You can quickly swith to other boxes on your television to do testing. There are so many things. You can drag and dock the various panels anywhere you like. In a nutshell it is what it is an IDE. Integrated development environment

Thanks for clarifying. Out of curiosity, what OS are you using to develop Roku apps?
0 Kudos