Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Re: bash scripts to upload and delete from the roku menu

i have something to say since i have put together a few apps, and this is my last post in this kids never ending post.

the process that i use never takes over a couple seconds and i dont rezip etc and curl etc....

1.) I have one folder with the exact match of the zip file i then have the zip file open too. when i make a change, i drag from the source to the zip. time: 1 second

2.) My files are on desktop while working, i have the browser open to the installer. i click browse to get file time: 1 second

3.) Then upload file to roku Time: 1-2 seconds

Sorry if you think this is too time consuming, but for me that little break gives me a second to relax and get a drink or just wait. just take my eyes of the pc for a few seconds helps

I honestly think taking 3-5 seconds couldn't add up to amount to what maybe 5 minutes of downtime in a 8-10 hour day at 100 uploads. I am sure more than that time is wasted by going to get coffee, go to the bathroom etc though out the day.

I totally agree it would take too much time when doing graphics and thats why i do it paint.net using the grid to see any changes, we have some stuff we been doing some custom video players and that is how we did it, but again we dont do all the drawing in the roku itself. we place it once and then move it in the paint program and then make changed to the code once we have it where we like it, now this type of work is very time consuming and would be nice if there was a easier way.

there ya go kid, now you can brag how this post got 1000 views !! it just might... especially if you post one after another to keep it at the top, try using the edit if you have a thought so quickly after the last post and your the last poster...
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

its not the time, its having to change your thought process away from coding that is what slows you down.
And I am glad you have finally agreed to be quiet.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

"manoflinux" wrote:

these forums have been very friendly till you came around, i think i speak for many that wish they go back to that way. You can't hurl insults from behind your PC at everyone that does not agree with you.
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
"manoflinux" wrote:

these forums have been very friendly till you came around, i think i speak for many that wish they go back to that way. You can't hurl insults from behind your PC at everyone that does not agree with you.

I dont really see that being an insult. its kinda obvious we dont agree.
But I find it funny that someone is acting like doing stuff in notepad makes you better.
Its an awful tool. I dont make scripts by putting pictures together.
I write code in a simple but powerful text editor called kate.
Yes you can use a toothbrush to mop the floor and you may achieve the same results as using a mop.
But is it worth it in time and energy?
If want to use windows fine, but don't tell me you are a better coder than me because you use notepad,
Its not like when someone talks about VI being better, VI is actually a very powerful editor.
Use syn editor http://sourceforge.net/projects/syn/ its free and does just about everything a programmer needs.
In fact from what I hear, no one seems to be aware of anything you have actually done.
I put my code out for everyone to see. let me see you do the same.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
You can't hurl insults from behind your PC at everyone that does not agree with you.

I'd encourage you to take your own advice. You don't find this particular utility useful to you. That's fine. Move on, but coming back in here and calling the OP "kid" continuously, because you don't understand the point, and then complaining about insults being hurled is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. It's a two way street.

Back on topic, I'm of the general opinion that anything that has to be done more than a handful of times is worth automating. I'm also a developer who doesn't like being distracted from his coding by the tools he's using, so automated sideloading, syntax highlighting, and easy code navigation make me 1000% more efficient. The more efficient I am, the more productive I am, and the happier my clients are (especially those paying by the hour).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

But I find it funny that someone is acting like doing stuff in notepad makes you better.

I would love to show that i said that, in fact it is your attitude that thinks your better than anyone because your work with linux.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38546&p=253025&hilit=kid#p253009

If want to use windows fine, but don't tell me you are a better coder than me because you use notepad,

once again, where was this ever said?

I said i am "fine" with how it is, not that it couldn't be faster or better. or that i use notepad and thus better than anyone.

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
i have said here many times i use windows, i understand your guys intentions and that great. but i am ok with the 2-5 seconds of click browse and upload. I am not in that much of a hurry.

Yes you can use a toothbrush to mop the floor and you may achieve the same results as using a mop.
But is it worth it in time and energy?

why not tell Roku they dont know what they are doing since your the man of linux viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38546&p=256409#p256409

you take everyone's posts as a direct attack and twist it, your never going to get everyone to agree with you. You have been told about this in other posts and by other developers, I am not the first

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38546&p=253025&hilit=kid#p253015

In fact from what I hear, no one seems to be aware of anything you have actually done.

Hear from where? and comments like this is why you have been told you sound like a kid

I had my first app in the channel store 3 days after i downloaded the sdk as a first time coder, you have been on here for how long talking about how things should be this way and that way, your the man of linux, this is sparta and where is your channel? I have a few channels out there, not sure what else to show what i have done.

And besides the UFC I put together the first "live" ROH wrestling iPPv on Roku, using VLC on windows, another of your "I am working on" projects....

I never came here bragging that I am a professional coder or the "manofwindows" in fact most of the folks on here know that I am a professional, but a professional wrestler and actor.

I have said SEVERAL times i am new to this and coding, will admit it in a second!!

I put my code out for everyone to see. let me see you do the same

before you talk, do a search around the forums, i post code all the time and try to help when i can, if after i been helped i try to always leave code behind on what I did to get it working.

as always thanks Endless for chiming in as would be expected to try and prove me wrong or not as smart as he is But i do understand the concept, i am not the only one here who says that we are just happy with how it works, it could be better as everything can be.

reread the thread before you burst in moderating. i started out by saying this could be useful to someone and bet they will appreciate it.

@ Endless show me once that i made a "Insult" to anyone on this board, unless he is over 40 then he is a kid to me. sorry wasnt aware being called a kid was an insult. I never once made a comment about this poster that has not been said before by someone else on this board in reference to this poster. And how dare i use a word like kid!! whats next calling someone silly??? :roll:

its funny your over here moderating but you were just in a similar predicament with another poster. how its ok you say in another post just recently:
"TheEndless" wrote:
If you're not interested in hearing anyone's ideas and suggestions other than your own, perhaps you should make that more clear up front.

but i just state my ideas,how my workflows is, and how i am content with the system as is now, but thats not OK?? Why are you not telling the poster the same here?

Also endless, i think your memory is a bit blurred
"TheEndless" wrote:
At some point you either need to accept that the people that are trying to help you actually do know what they're talking about and stop being insulting and defensive, or you need to just give it up and move on to something else.

But then you stand up for someone that has, in near everyone of the threads he has been involved with, start some sort of "Noice" as you like to call it, with several different posters and developers that do know what they are doing. By being defensive and insulting...

hmm maybe it is you who needs to take his own advice...

it can be summed up by jeffrok here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38546&p=253151&hilit=+1000#p253156

its not about the posters ideas, or that they are not useful. Because they always will be to someone... Its his way of speaking to anyone that does not agree with him... Bottom line....
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

Hey, let's simmer down, all. People should be free to choose the tools that work for them and to talk about those tools without concern that they'll be belittled or attacked for exercising that option. If you're not interested in the topic, or the person or people posting in the topic, just ignore it and/or them.

Back on topic, (sorta), I've gone ahead and started the syntax files for Crimson Editor, here's an example(I'll post a new topic when I'm ready to release them):
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Sorry to interject here, since I'm not a programmer, but the jibes and arguments end now. This is the Developer Program forum. People ask for help or give advice. You don't have to listen to it, you don't have to follow it, and you don't have to agree with it. You don't have to give it either.

Let's behave guys 🙂 Let's be friends.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

all I am trying to do is create a easy way to create apps for your box(the roku) in linux and windows using the same opensource toolset. thats all.
I keep getting attacked by people over and over again.
ok next time it happens instead of responding back I will get you involved.
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

"gonzotek" wrote:
Hey, let's simmer down, all. People should be free to choose the tools that work for them and to talk about those tools without concern that they'll be belittled or attacked for exercising that option. If you're not interested in the topic, or the person or people posting in the topic, just ignore it and/or them.

Back on topic, (sorta), I've gone ahead and started the syntax files for Crimson Editor, here's an example(I'll post a new topic when I'm ready to release them):

Awesome!! The more tools to develop for the roku in the better.
0 Kudos