Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Re: bash scripts to upload and delete from the roku menu

Oh i understand what it is, but again in this case why?

I am not sure why in every thread you post or start, you have such an attitude towards everyone, and 90% of the time its with developers who have developed channels for Roku, so we do know a little about what were doing.

for some reason you believe your way is the only way, and even when people with some experience tell you differently you lash out.

I am sure it maybe helpful to some people, but don't get upset when people do not agree your idea or way is the best way.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"manoflinux" wrote:
ok I have two roku's I want to test on. so I have to make two make files? my way seems easier.

No... As kbenson pointed out, all you have to do is change the value of the ROKU_DEV_TARGET env variable to target a different device. If your way is easier for you, that's great. We were just pointing out another alternative.
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
"RokuChris" wrote:
The Makefiles in the SDK are also great tools for automating the build process, IMO. They make zipping, sideloading, and packaging tasks much more efficient.

Indeed. The makefile setup included in the examples makes uploading as simple as:

ROKU_DEV_TARGET=10.11.12.13 make install

from the target channel's source dir. All it takes is a change of the ROKU_DEV_TARGET address supplied to target a different system. Additionally, special directives can be put in each individual apps' Makefile, such as to pre-process files in some manner. We've seriously considered writing our own macro pre-processor to get around some limitations (such as inlining some common functions to ease programming and reduce function call overhead). This becomes much more important in 3.0...

can I have multiple dev targets?
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Visitor

"manoflinux" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:
"RokuChris" wrote:
The Makefiles in the SDK are also great tools for automating the build process, IMO. They make zipping, sideloading, and packaging tasks much more efficient.

Indeed. The makefile setup included in the examples makes uploading as simple as:

ROKU_DEV_TARGET=10.11.12.13 make install

from the target channel's source dir. All it takes is a change of the ROKU_DEV_TARGET address supplied to target a different system. Additionally, special directives can be put in each individual apps' Makefile, such as to pre-process files in some manner. We've seriously considered writing our own macro pre-processor to get around some limitations (such as inlining some common functions to ease programming and reduce function call overhead). This becomes much more important in 3.0...

can I have multiple dev targets?

I just alias my different Rokus.

alias rokuA='export ROKU_DEV_TARGET="1.2.3.4"'
alias rokuB='export ROKU_DEV_TARGET="4.3.2.1"'

Then I can either do a "make install", or telnet into the Roku for debugging.
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

still doesn't seem as clean to me. we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
What I have done though is setup my rokus in my /etc/avahi/hosts file so I can refer to them as roku01.local and roku02.local
if you dont use avahi you should check it out. I wouldn't put it on a box outside a firewall. but for your home network its great. . I dont use it for autoip because I stilll have a windows box(if it was not for playon I wouldnt have any windows boxes, just virtuals will get a multi core box to host it as a virtual at some point) and some windows virtuals that need dhcp, but you can use autoip and get rid of your dhcp server if you have nothing but Linux boxes. But I do use it for local dns. I never have to remember ips any more as long as I named the box something I can remember.
wish someone would make a windows avahi autoip client. it would make my life very easy.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Yeah all of these methods look like really bad hacks to me. :roll: I use the web page myself and that seems to work.
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

really? Your obviously not qualified to make any such evaluation.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I thought the rollseyes icon would get a point across. It's really cool there are so many ways to get this to work, but I think everyone would be really super impressed if we could see the pure assembly language bytes to make it do this too - maybe you can type that up. 🙂
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"manoflinux" wrote:
still doesn't seem as clean to me. we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
What I have done though is setup my rokus in my /etc/avahi/hosts file so I can refer to them as roku01.local and roku02.local
if you dont use avahi you should check it out. I wouldn't put it on a box outside a firewall. but for your home network its great. . I dont use it for autoip because I stilll have a windows box(if it was not for playon I wouldnt have any windows boxes, just virtuals will get a multi core box to host it as a virtual at some point) and some windows virtuals that need dhcp, but you can use autoip and get rid of your dhcp server if you have nothing but Linux boxes. But I do use it for local dns. I never have to remember ips any more as long as I named the box something I can remember.
wish someone would make a windows avahi autoip client. it would make my life very easy.

ROKU_DEV_TARGET in the command referenced is just a bash environment variable. It's something that gets passed to the make command on run.
All the following would work, assuming the addresses/hostnames are reachable/resolvable:

ROKU_DEV_TARGET=192.168.0.10 make install
ROKU_DEV_TARGET=roku01.local make install
ROKU_DEV_TARGET=roku02.local make install

or even:

export ROKU_DEV_TARGET=roku01.local
# Do some stuff
make install # Installs into roku01
export ROKU_DEV_TARGET=roku02.local
# do some other stuff,
make install # installs into roku02
ROKU_DEV_TARGET=roku01.local make install # Installs into roku01 FOR THIS COMMAND
make install # Installs into roku02 because the main environment var is still set to that

The nice benefit of the makefiles included is that you don't have to zip the channel. They do that automatically ("make" will zip the channel for deployment, "make install" implies first a make, then the install portion which uses curl to upload it). You can also set certain files to not be included automatically in the zip, in case they are purely for local development (such as the Makefile itself, or any buffer/swap files from editors left around during zip). In addition to that, when creating the zip, it actually first zips up all PNG files it finds with no compression (they already have their own compression), and then all the other files with max compression.

There's something to be said for having much of the complexity bundled with the development environment itself (the guts of the makefiles are actually in a single app.mk file, shared/loaded by the individual Makefiles for each sample channel).

There's nothing wrong with rolling your own deployment system, but it's worth seeing what Roku's already provided, because they may have a few tricks you haven't considered (I hadn't noticed the separate compression for PNG files before looking closer at the file when writing this post).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
manoflinux
Visitor

well finally a well thought out response.
I asked the question "can you do multiple dev targets " awhile back no one said yes you can .
this does look interesting.
0 Kudos