Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrihlea
Visitor

base library bslCore.brs

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Component+Architecture#ComponentArchitecture-v30/bslCore.brs

there are two methods in there that caught my attention:
- bslBrightScriptErrorCodes()
- bslUniversalControlEventCodes()[/font][/color]

a) Is there a way to get the button-press event before it gets to the "onKeyEvent()" in the component ?
one usecase for this would be to disable the quick-play (or the remote) so that it won't be possible to press it multiple times

b)
   screen = CreateObject("roSGScreen")
   m.port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
   screen.setMessagePort(m.port)
   ' ...
   while(true)
       msg = wait(0, m.port)
       ' the roku-remote events are not handled here so what's the point in bslUniversalControlEventCodes()

what would be a possible use-case for bslBrightScriptErrorCodes() ?[/font][/color]
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: base library bslCore.brs

"vrihlea" wrote:
a) Is there a way to get the button-press event before it gets to the "onKeyEvent()" in the component ?
one use case for this would be to disable the quick-play (or the remote) so that it won't be possible to press it multiple times

Yes - by temporarily setting the input focus on another node (regardless whether parent or sibling of the current one) and handling it there. Or not handling it (with chance of beep or exit). The point is, excluding the component at hand from the key event handling chain
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"vrihlea" wrote:
b)
what would be a possible use-case for bslUniversalControlEventCodes() and bslBrightScriptErrorCodes() ?

bslUniversalControlEventCodes() could be used in a 2D API application, which uses an roUniversalControlEvent to convey key press information: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Runtime+Functions#RuntimeFunctions-Eval(codeasString)asDynam...
0 Kudos
vrihlea
Visitor

"RokuNB" wrote:
"vrihlea" wrote:
one use case for this would be to disable the quick-play (or the remote) so that it won't be possible to press it multiple times

Yes - by temporarily setting the input focus on another node (regardless whether parent or sibling of the current one) and handling it there. Or not handling it (with chance of beep or exit). The point is, excluding the component at hand from the key event handling chain

yes I could "unfocus" the current element but the "onKeyEvent" on the "parent component" (the element that I'm focussing) would still get called, is there a way to avoid that ?
I would like to either focus the same "global" node/component from everywhere or find a way to use bslUniversalControlEventCodes()[/font]
I'm trying to figure out how to use bslUniversalControlEventCodes() based on this topic: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=99328&p=551386&hilit=roUniversalControlEvent#p551386

' m.port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
   m.port = CreateObject("roUniversalControlEvent")

while true
       msg = wait(0, screen.GetMessagePort())
       if type(msg) = "roPosterScreenEvent"
           if msg.isRemoteKeyPressed()
               stop
           end if
       end if

it never gets to the "stop", did I miss something ?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"vrihlea" wrote:

' m.port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
   m.port = CreateObject("roUniversalControlEvent")

while true
       msg = wait(0, screen.GetMessagePort())
       if type(msg) = "roPosterScreenEvent"
           if msg.isRemoteKeyPressed()
               stop
           end if
       end if

it never gets to the "stop", did I miss something ?

The only object that can be used with SetMessagePort is an roMessagePort.
Trying to use an roUniversalControlEvent object as a message port won't do anything.

I guess your intent might have been to receive roUniversalControlEvents,
where you are checking for "roPosterScreenEvent", but that also won't help,
as roUniversalControlEvents are only generated by an roScreen screen, not by
an roSGScreen.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
vrihlea
Visitor

so "roSGScreen" works with components (lists, grids ...) and "roScreen" is used for drawing and stuff.

but is there a way to make something like a global-onKeyEvent ?
meaning before a key-press event gets to onKeyEvent in a component it should first go through main()[/color]
0 Kudos