Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

What's the toll of 'festing "bs_libs_required=roku_ads_lib"?

This question is going to sound strange but read on, i'll give the reason for asking at the end. We know from RTFM that
"Roku Advertising Framework" wrote:

:!: The following line must be placed in the manifest file for any applications using the Roku Ad Framework library:
bs_libs_required=roku_ads_lib

My question is what is the "toll" (the price, cost) of manifesting that for an app which may not be using RAF?

Since it's an opt-in, i am guessing there is some price to be paid - in time or RAM or /tmp disk - or else everybody will be getting that feature "toll-free"^ already.

Why do i care? Well the thing is the framework i am using (Marmalade) has a rather rigid build process targeting Roku platform. In particular it has a baked-in manifest template in which it does substitutions from a fixed list of pre-defined UI form entries. I found where the template is hidden and i can add a "bs_libs_required=roku_ads_lib" to it but that will be "hard-coded" and apply to all Roku projects. Which makes switching between projects with and without RAF an exercise with extra manual steps. Or i can just always manifest it, if it's cheap enough...

(^) in case one wonders where did i come with the "toll" expression, it's in my head from "toll-free bridging" between NS (NextStep / Objective C) and CF (core foundation / pure C) APIs of Apple OSX/iOS world.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: What's the toll of 'festing "bs_libs_required=roku_ads_l

"EnTerr" wrote:
My question is what is the "toll" (the price, cost) of manifesting that for an app which may not be using RAF?

Since it's an opt-in, i am guessing there is some price to be paid - in time or RAM or /tmp disk - or else everybody will be getting that feature "toll-free"^ already.

While ideally you wouldn't list RAF as a dependency of an app that isn't using it, it shouldn't add any significant overhead.

The RAF code is only compiled with the application if the app includes:
Library "Roku_Ads.brs"

in one of the app's .brs files.

And of course you only pay the additional runtime overhead if you actually instantiate RAF via:
adIface = Roku_Ads()
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
While ideally you wouldn't list RAF as a dependency of an app that isn't using it, it shouldn't add any significant overhead.

Thanks, that's a relief. I was clear on the other points. So i can just imagine - if i will - the cost of the manifesting bs_libs_required being just time&resources of mounting a fs? Close enough?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuKC" wrote:

Thanks, that's a relief. I was clear on the other points. So i can just imagine - if i will - the cost of the manifesting bs_libs_required being just time&resources of mounting a fs? Close enough?

Yes.
0 Kudos