Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hkailas
Channel Surfer

What is the difference between Roku streaming player and Roku TV?

I looking for developing Roku TV Apps and publish it.

From the development environment setup I saw:

1. Set up your Roku device to enable Developer Settings on your Roku device

What device I need to buy? Roku TV or Roku Streaming player. Are they same? What is the difference between them. Please suggest the best option to test and publish TV apps.

Free developer account + device = is enough to develop and publish to Roku Store in an organisation. Please confirm 

Thanks in Advance!

Harish Kumar

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: What is the difference between Roku streaming player and Roku TV?

The Roku TV comes with a Television panel attached. It makes all those HDMI problems and HDCP issues disappear. It is like the TV/VCR combo units of the past.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Roku TV would be precious. New 8K Roku TV units coming in September. Prepare yourself... 😉

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What is the difference between Roku streaming player and Roku TV?

You can pretty much use any current model for developing (i.e., don't get something 10 years old off of ebay).  It's sometimes helpful to have multiple devices because they don't all have identical capabilities, but it's not entirely necessary (until some problem arises Smiley Happy ).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos