Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robb
Visitor

Wake On Lan

I am trying to solve the final piece to setting up the entertainment setup in my home.

The final step is to get the Roku to wake up my windows based Plex server b sending a magic packet, at the moment I have to use my android phone or another pc to wake the server, however I want to get the Roku to do this step as it is a lot easier for my wife. I realise there is a private channel here https://owner.roku.com/add/WoL that would solve all my problems simple..... however I live in the UK and for some reason it is not available in my area?

Is there an alternative channel or way I can get my Roku or Plex channel to wake my server using the mac and ip?

Or is there a way of me getting that WOL channel onto my Roku without using the online based system?

Any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated, this really is the final piece to the puzzle. If anyone is willing to write me a channel or something that will do it for me that I can get in the UK I will happily pay for your time.

Thank You
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Rootman
Visitor

Re: Wake On Lan

Do a Google search for sideloading ROKU channels, I've never done it but it involves putting your ROKU into development mode and then squirting the raw file for the channel to the ROKU via the network. Actually getting the file for the WOL channel may be an issue, you may have to get it from another user who already has it and is willing to share it with you.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

^ ...or just contact the developer and ask him to make the channel available in the UK.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
robb
Visitor

I have tried finding the developer, and tried contacting them, but never received a reply, not even sure I had the right person.

If someone would be willing to download the channel then send me it as a zip or something I would be very very grateful.

Or has anyone got an idea how I may find the creator of a channel? I'm guessing the fact they are called private channels makes it unlikely there's a named developer?

Thank you
0 Kudos
robb
Visitor

Not to worry about this one no, cheers for the help.

I managed to find some code on github to allows rarflix to wake the server on opening the program so that works even more integrated than requiring another channel.

Cheers
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

WOL will be included in the next release of RARflix ( even though I know you are probably now aware of this).

"robb" wrote:
Not to worry about this one no, cheers for the help.

I managed to find some code on github to allows rarflix to wake the server on opening the program so that works even more integrated than requiring another channel.

Cheers
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm the developer. I didn't realize it was only available in the US. I wish there was one "everywhere" option instead of having to individually select each region. Anyhow, for anyone else that might need it, it should be available everywhere now.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
robb
Visitor

Thank you, always worth having as a backup. Appreciate that, cheers
0 Kudos
sark666
Visitor

I know this is an old thread but found it very cool that WOL had an app for ROKU. And even cooler that rarflix will have it built in. Probably does already but I didn't notice it.

The reason I'm responding to this, and I know there isn't a standard like WOL, but I'd like to also be able to remotely shutdown when I'm done watching. I've seem apps that do this but none seem to be crossplatform. I have an android device and also there's an ipad in the house so it would be nice if either could do it. But obviously it would be great if it could be all done from the ROKU. I highly doubt that is possible at this point, but just thought I'd see how others are handling this.

It only makes sense, the desire to remotely turn on would be followed by the desire to remotely turn off.
0 Kudos