Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Videos fail with unknown error (index -3)

Hold on -- you're encoding an MP4 file, right? So the file must be completely encoded before the Roku starts playing it. MP4 is not a streaming format. I'm not sure what "server" you're talking about, but Roku reads the files from a standard HTTP server at its own speed; it's not possible for the server to send the data too fast. What "buffer flushes" are you referring to?

--Mark
0 Kudos
mikedehaan
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Hold on -- you're encoding an MP4 file, right? So the file must be completely encoded before the Roku starts playing it. MP4 is not a streaming format.

Correct. The files I'm attempting to play are completely encoded ahead of time (last week).

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I'm not sure what "server" you're talking about, but Roku reads the files from a standard HTTP server at its own speed; it's not possible for the server to send the data too fast. What "buffer flushes" are you referring to?

You are exactly right. I am writing a custom server to host my videos and suspect that I have something wrong either in the HTTP Headers (mime type?) or in the streaming. Once I moved one of the longer videos to an Apache HTTPD instance, the file worked just fine.

Thanks for your time. This is obviously not a Roku issue so I will go on my own for now.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Make sure your server supports range requests.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mikedehaan
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Make sure your server supports range requests.

-JT

Brilliant! That was exactly the issue.

Thanks for the help. 😄
0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

Roku player started video failing

0 Kudos