Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dew
Visitor

Video player question "Play or Resume Play"

Hi I have set up all of my xmls files I am just about to start adding content I have 90% of my streamUrl's empty.
but when I side load the channel for test on most videos there is the resume play or play button but on some of them there is no resume play just a play . My question is can someone explain where is the info stored? How does it know wheater you started watching the movie or not? and how do you clear it .I have most of the fileds empty but yet there is a resume play? I can not see how the info can be taken from the xml I side loaded a channel and I sent the file to my client so he could see the progress as I added content but he sees the same thing on his Roku box. any help would be much appreaciated.
Cheers
Dave
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Video player question "Play or Resume Play"

That data is stored in the registry based on the contentID of the item. The logic for showing the buttons is in the refreshShowDetail() function.
0 Kudos
dew
Visitor

So every content should have its own unique content Id
This would keep every thing just showing play unless they started playing the file and it was stored in the registry based. That makes sense ok is there any rules on what a content ID can be? or can not be?

Thanks again for your help
DEW
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Ideally it is a very short unique string as there is a limited amount of space in the registry. If you were to use, say, the path and filename as the uniqueID, you might run out of space in the 16k depending on how many videos you have in your channel, and if you share your developer key with more than one channel using the same registry.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

When we have a channel with resume options, I have code that tracks the position for oldest/newest which sorts and scrolls off old data. Keeping 10 bookmarks is fine for our purposes, and each key is saved with the channel name so the channels are independent. I suspect after 20 or so channels on the same key we'd probably begin to be concerned about space requirements, but for now it's fine as nearly 3/4th of our channels don't use bookmarks or resume. If you need a lot more space, it'd be best to keep the bookmarks on the server in a database for your individual users.
0 Kudos