Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Video issue

I don't know if it's specific to 3.0 firmware, but I never noticed it before. Most of the time when I start a new video, I get about a second or two of whatever video I was previously watching morphing very pixelated into the new video. It happens across channels and across live/archived videos. I also see it sometimes when using the Replay button.

Anyone else? Does it happen on 2.9 firmware?

-JT
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 7

Re: Video issue

I've been seeing this too, seems to happen on all channels.
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

This happens on v2.9 as well as v3.0. It occurs when you video does not start on an I-Frame.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is there a way to fix this other than re-encoding your video to start on an I-frame?

I'm getting this in my app also, and re-encoding is not an option.

Thanks,
-Keelin
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

You could probably set the playstart of the video to a set frame number (rather than second position) in a future firmware update.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Another question I have is what about the Replay button? Since that button is entirely handled by the firmware, Is there anything that can be done to avoid this issue?

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

The replay button searches back for an I-frame, so this issue does not occur when the replay button is pressed.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

I beg to differ. I've seen it happen many times using the Replay button with the 3.0 firmware.

-JT
0 Kudos