Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video from youtube edges cut off in all Tv's

Hi Everyone,

I am developing a channel, thats the source from youtube. I am getting the 480p and 720p mode videos from youtube and playing it based on the display mode in Tv SD or HD.

I google it and many posts said, it's overscan problem. I tested in many TV's. But this problem comes in all TV's. All TV's have the overscan problem. No, I think.

Is there any solution to check and play the video based on the resolution and screen sizes. Or Is there any code to play the video based on the bitrates, quality.

Please anyone help on this.

Thank you,
Dineshkumar
I am using Roku 4 - 4400X Model.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Video from youtube edges cut off in all Tv's

Not allowed to pull videos straight off YouTube, sorry 😞
0 Kudos

Hi Komag,

We can pull videos from youtube. Check this roku forum.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=45537

I used this code and get the youtube videos to roku. But playing videos not fit to the screen and edges are cut off in most tested TV's.

Thank you,
Dineshkumar
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Sorry, but that thread doesn't convince me in the slightest. If you do this for a private channel only, it's still not allowed by YouTube, but you probably wouldn't face any "real" consequences or trouble.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"pdineshkumar55" wrote:
I google it and many posts said, it's overscan problem. I tested in many TV's. But this problem comes in all TV's. All TV's have the overscan problem. No, I think.

To answer your question in earnest - yes, virtually all TVs overscan by default and lose small amount of image at the screen edges. It's a remainder from the times when all TVs used vacuum tubes. The electron gun inside them with aging would spread the beam wider and outside the visible area. So TV stations started (ab)using those areas of the image to encode non-visual info there - which would appear e.g. as a strange lines of colored dots on top of the screen if if current LCDs did not chop that one off. See viewtopic.php?f=34&t=86591&start=15#p490303 for discussion.

Some video players have overscan adjustments (game consoles, FireTV etc), Roku does not. Instead look for adjustment in TVs advanced picture settings, on a RokuTV it's "Picture size", where "Normal" is with overscan (chops the edges) and "Direct" is no overscan (see 100% of the video signal). Or it might be tucked under "Game mode" (which also includes less image processing for lower latency) - or in some TVs like Samsung one has to do voodoo like using specific input and renaming it to "PC".

I suspect you can also adjust the player programmatically so it plays in a window smaller than the full screen. Seems like roVideoScreen.setDestinationRectangle may do the trick. But i have never done video on Roku, so speculating - can someone with experience shed light?
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"EnTerr" wrote:
I suspect you can also adjust the player programmatically so it plays in a window smaller than the full screen. Seems like roVideoScreen.setDestinationRectangle may do the trick. But i have never done video on Roku, so speculating - can someone with experience shed light?

I'm pretty sure that stopped working a long time ago. I reported it, but, as usual, never got a response from anyone at Roku. It works on legacy devices.
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

I'm pretty sure that stopped working a long time ago. I reported it, but, as usual, never got a response from anyone at Roku. It works on legacy devices.
-JT

Yup. Works for roVideoPlayer, but not roVideoScreen.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

Yup. Works for roVideoPlayer, but not roVideoScreen.

Yes. I tried this in roVideoScreen. It is not working.

Thank you,
Dineshkumar
0 Kudos
missjenniferd1
Channel Surfer

thanks for your helpful suggestion to check the tv's settings. my samsung tv had a setting for picture size, and had 4:3, 16:9, (and mine was on 16:9), but there was a third setting called "screen fit", and when i selected that one, the edges weren't chopped off anymore. 

0 Kudos