Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BCVatOVG
Visitor

Video Screen resize delay after RAF Ad Play

We are trying to launch a new Roku live streaming channel, but have run into a roadblock.  On lower end Roku devices (Roku Express, Roku 1, Roku LT, etc) we are noticing a significant delay when the user presses the back button when watching full screen.

Pressing the back button when watching a stream full screen will resize the video into the top right corner to display the MenuList (so a user can select another channel while still watching the channel they were on). Pressing the back button will, in normal cases, resize the video almost instantly with no perceivable delay to the user.  The problem I am seeing is that AFTER running a full screen ad through RAF then playing the stream full screen there is a significantly perceived delay from the time the user presses the back button and when the video actually resizes on the screen.

This delay has caused me to click back for a second time, which would then exit the channel after the delay, causing confusion and a terrible user experience.

Again, this only seems to cause a delay when pressing the back button on a full screen playing video AFTER playing an RAF ad.

I have created a very simple test channel that reproduces this issue. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NsUt ... sp=sharing

Steps to reproduce and see the delay:

1. Side load the attached channel on a lower powered Roku device (Best seen on Roku LT)

2. Click "OK" on the selected menu item "Plays RAF Ad"

3. The video screen should become full screen and play a house RAF ad

4. When the ad finishes, the video should play full screen

5. Press the "Back" button and watch for the delay of the video screen resizing to show the MenuList

6. Pressing "OK" again on "Plays RAF Ad" will make the playing video full screen again

7. Pressing "Back" again will instantly resize the video to show the MenuList

Steps to reproduce WITHOUT the display (RAF Ad will not play):

1. Side load the attached channel on a lower powered Roku device (Best seen on Roku LT)

2. Click "OK" on the selected menu item "DOES NOT Play Ad"

3. The video screen should become full screen and play a video

4. Pressing "Back" will instantly resize the video to show the MenuList

I have tried various things to code around this issue but I am stumped and have no idea where to go from here.  We can not release this channel with a bug like this as it will have a significant impact on the users of the channel.

Please let me know if this is a bug or how I can avoid this delay.

Thanks,
Blake
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Video Screen resize delay after RAF Ad Play

Hi Blake -
is this still happening with the RAF version released last week (2.0.20)?
How long is the delay you experience?
What rOS version?
Does the display mode (SD/HD/FHD) matter?

PS. without having tried this on a non-GLES player yet (don't have one handy at home), maybe you can avoid the double-Back exit risk by relinquishing input focus only after the player has been resized? (e.g. in the example that would be in `printTime()`) So repeat Back presses before resize can be absorbed by the player
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Video Screen resize delay after RAF Ad Play

Ok, i tried it on a #2500 (Roku HD) and it there is a 2-3 sec delay if the Back button is pressed right/soon after the ad had finished playing and the main content has resumed. It's repeatedly reproducible within single run of the channel, as far as an ad was just played.

Does not seem problem of the RAF library, since it has already returned by that point and (presumably) cleaned after itself. Puzzling.

Have you tried the "native RSG" integration introduced by RAF 2.0 (e.g. https://github.com/rokudev/RAF4RSG-sample)? I wonder if there will be the same kind of delay in that case.
0 Kudos