Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Video Playback Source

I apologize up front for a somewhat basic question, but, I am in the process of developing my first channel.  I've got a question regarding how to specify the source for video playback in my xml meta files.  What I've done to this point:

1. I copied an existing sample project and mocked it up for my needs.

2. I defined a local web site on a NAS and hosted some "test" videos.

3. I've been debugging my code to the point that I have my videos playing from my "test" site.

Now, here's the real question.  I pulled some public domain videos and hosted them on my "test" site.  That got me to thinking about the more appropriate way to write the playback code.  Does it make more sense to not host the videos myself and point the meta data to where the video actually exists.  For example, I pulled a public domain video from Vimeo and loaded it to my "test" site.  Rather than doing that, can I change the meta data to point to the video on Vimeo?  Is there standard syntax to do that?  If so, does the syntax change based on the hosting service?

At this stage in my development, this is more of a design question.  I'm looking to collect public domain videos I find and offer playback through my channel.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Video Playback Source

Bump....

Opinions are ok here.  I'm looking for some feedback on the approach others have take to this type of issue.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Video Playback Source

"Baradanikto" wrote:
Does it make more sense to not host the videos myself and point the meta data to where the video actually exists.

Sure - if you can get away with it 🙂

For example, I pulled a public domain video from Vimeo and loaded it to my "test" site.  Rather than doing that, can I change the meta data to point to the video on Vimeo?

Abso<censored>lutely! There is no technical obstacle to doing that. The question is more of legal nature, e.g. is it okay with the video host that you access the video by means of your design vs what they usually offer? I have heard that YouTube ToS for example forbids playing videos with an app that is not of their (YT) design. 

You may say "yeah but the video is public domain" - so are books like "Dracula", "Frankenstein Monster", "Alice of Wonderland" or the Sherlock Holmes stories - but does not mean you can pick up a paper copy at Barnes&Noble and walk out w/o paying 🙂

There are also legalistic wrangling like say https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright ... nd_framing - which i have neighter read nor looking forward to read. 
0 Kudos