Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsfilms
Visitor

Video Not Playing

Ok so I got the channel to sideload, I uploaded my xml files and content to my webserver and tried the channel out, everything looks good but the video will not play, I click resume play or play from beginning and it just flashes to the loading screen for a split second and then goes back to the title page.

I re-encoded my video with handbreak using the Roku preset and still get the same thing.

Any idea?

Thanks a bunch!

-Jason
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Video Not Playing

You might want to try some "print" debugging on the events generated by the video component to see if it is giving you some kind of error message (telnet to your Roku's ip port 8085 to see the print output). Generally, the error messages aren't all that helpful, but sometimes they help. Also, if you want to post a link to a sample video you can't play I'm sure someone here will give it a try for you.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

I dont see any errors in the telnet debug.

could have something to do with the xml file?

thanks

-jason
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Worked for me. Didn't watch the whole thing, a bit fuzzy.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

There's nothing wrong with the video. You realize you have to parse the xml in your code to extract the StreamUrls, StreamFormat ("mp4" in this case), ContentType ("movie"), etc., right? You don't pass the xml to the video component. So your code should look something like:
videoscreen = CreateObject("roVideoScreen")
video.StreamUrls = ["http://myip/consequence.mp4"] <-- url(s) extracted from xml
video.StreamFormat = "mp4" <-- these two can be in the xml, or hard-coded
video.ContentType = "movie"
etc....
videoscreen.SetContent(video)

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

"greubel" wrote:
Worked for me. Didn't watch the whole thing, a bit fuzzy.

yea the handbreak preset is super low quality for some reason sorry to hurt your eyes 🙂
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the video. You realize you have to parse the xml in your code to extract the StreamUrls, StreamFormat ("mp4" in this case), ContentType ("movie"), etc., right? You don't pass the xml to the video component. So your code should look something like:
videoscreen = CreateObject("roVideoScreen")
video.StreamUrls = ["http://myip/consequence.mp4"] <-- url(s) extracted from xml
video.StreamFormat = "mp4" <-- these two can be in the xml, or hard-coded
video.ContentType = "movie"
etc....
videoscreen.SetContent(video)

-JT

thanks JT I will check that out and post back

-j
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

ok im dumb, my folders were mixed up had them looking for the wrong thing...sorry to waist your time folks

thanks for the help...about to try it again hopefully it works!
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

ok nope didnt work, still same problem, going thorugh code and xml to see if i missed something...the template videos work just fine...
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

Yea!! It works!! In my xml files I had http:// listed twice infront of the url....ID10T Error...

thanks to everyone for your help!

-Jason
0 Kudos