Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
merps

Valid Ad Server URL Times Out in RAF Sample App

Using the sample app for RAF, I tried adding a valid ad server URL that always returns an ad. In the console, it says the ad server URL is timing out. The device I'm testing with has an internet connection, so I don't understand why this is happening.

Here's the dev console output:

------ Running dev 'Sample use of RAF in RSG' main ------
Player: taskStateChanged(), id = PlayerTask, state = run

[RAF] setDebugOutput(true)

[RAF] Roku_Ads Framework version 2.1722

[RAF] setDebugOutput(false)

[RAF.err] getStringFromUrl("https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?env=vp&gdfp_req=1&output=xml_vast3&unviewed_position_start=1&sz=640x480&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.test.com&iu=/1018653/video_unit_roku&sdkv=h.3.441.0&vad_type=linear&rdid=e4a1455f-a67e-5289-b426-3e775e64e9d2&is_lat=0&idtype=rida"): Request timed out

[RAF.err] getAds(); response error: Request timed out

[RAF.err] no content id set when expanding ROKU_ADS_CONTENT_ID, defaulting to channel name. Consider using raf.setContentId()

[RAF.err] getStringFromUrl("https://ravm.tv/ads?rtid=quxS7ot2ntVc23tFoX2d&ai=dev&channel_id=dev&coppa=0&rdid=e4a1455f-a67e-5289-b426-3e775e64e9d2&ottid=&is_lat=&is_roku_lat=0&genre=Drama&content=Sample%20use%20of%20RAF%20in%20RSG&length=6106&device=4660X&ua=Roku%2FDVP-10.5%20%2810.5.0.4208-46%29&sz=1920x1080&correlator=1641932408996&scor=&inv_type=rr&is_roku=1&is_raf=1&ssai_req=0&is_pod=0&tag_type=VAST&version=1&ip=&min_ad_duration=0&max_ad_duration=92000&idtype=&pod_min=&pod_max=&pod_ads=&pod=&ppos=&ad_vertical=&ad_roll=&ott_app_id=&platform=&studio_id=&content_type=&series_id=&season_id=&content_rating=&fb_url=&roku_cust_param=device_lang%3Den_US"): Request timed out

[RAF.err] getAds(); response error: Request timed out
PlayerTask: state = buffering
PlayerTask: state = playing
01-11 20:20:21.271 [beacon.signal] |VODStartInitiate ----------> TimeBase(6605 ms)
01-11 20:20:21.271 [beacon.signal] |VODStartComplete ----------> Duration(22337 ms)
Player: keyevent = back
Player: exitPlayer()
EntryScene: PlayerStateChanged(), state = done
PlayerTask: state = stopped
PlayerTask: exiting playContentWithAds()                                       

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Valid Ad Server URL Times Out in RAF Sample App

Are you using an ad-blocker on your network?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
merps

No, my router doesn't have any ad blocking on it.

0 Kudos
merps

Here's something interesting/weird. I switched my DNS to the public Google ones (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) and that seems to have fixed it. The DNS I was using before from a provider that does not state anything about ad blocking must have been the issue.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Glad you got it figured out.  Thanks for posting the solution.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos