Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parag
Visitor

UX guidelines/Options menu.

Roku design docs state the following:

Strive to limit the Options menu to no more than 4 local options and 2 global options. 

Stuffing the Option menu with too many choices slows down users’ interaction with your channel UI and goes against Roku’s core principle of simplicity. If you find that there are too many features in your Options menus, consider refactoring your channel’s UI or removing features not essential to your channel experience on the Roku platform.

I can't locate any documentation on the Options menu. Is this something that is shown along with the search option? 

Also, Almost all examples with any lists show them vertical orientation - is that part of the UX guidelines? I am working on building a channel which requires a dynamically created menu which will then display RowList. Do I need to display the menu as a LabelList on the left or is it possible to display it on the top? I imagine that is what the Options menu is - would appreciate any help.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: UX guidelines/Options menu.

"Note these practices are guidelines, not requirements. While channels that do not implement all best practices may still be deployed on the Roku platform, the experience for users directly affects the engagement and value of your channel on our platform."

Those are just guidelines... --parlay?  Anyway - your channel's options menu isn't a requirement, you can make or include whatever you like there.  Their point is that roku is a streaming and gaming platform - and they don't like to see a channel which has hundreds of individual text entry boxes with a clunky layout and poor user experience.
0 Kudos
parag
Visitor

Re: UX guidelines/Options menu.

Thank you. I understand. I just wish their UX guidelines were a little more comprehensive, not to the level of say Android's material guidelines, but more than a single page document would be nice.
0 Kudos