Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Trouble setting theme attributes from a URL.

"dratio" wrote:
I've also just now noticed something else that is weird... I have assigned the same web-based image to both HDBackgroundImageUrl and HDSmallIconUrl and their SD counterparts, and lo and behold it displays on HDSmallIconUrl! So, when the same web-based image is displayed in both HDBackgroundImageUrl and HDSmallIconUrl, all is well. However, if a different web-based image is assigned to HDSmallIconUrl, it will not display.

Oh... now that you say it like that - YES!

There is a bug that causes that. Really sneaky. I ran into it when i worked with roListScreen few months ago but did not bother to mention it since i already report way too many bugs "per capita". (Somebody may think i get paid to dig dirt on B/S)

My experience was that HDSmallIconUrl / SDSmallIconUrl do not show up unless i have set the same image in HDPosterUrl / SDPosterUrl. My un-educated guess of why this is happening would be that a cache akin to roTextureManager is used internally for the images and *SmallIconUrl fetches from there but does not pre-load URLs unlike *PosterUrl and *BackgroundImageUrl

By the way, HDSmallIconUrl / SDSmallIconUrl are not documented anywhere so one may argue you are not supposed to use them 🙂

PS. And on another note, HDPosterUrl / SDPosterUrl are also undocumented for roListScreen but might be actually the ones you want to use instead of HDBackgroundImageUrl / SDBackgroundImageUrl. I was startled to discover *PosterUrl @ roListScreen.
0 Kudos
dratio
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"dratio" wrote:
I've also just now noticed something else that is weird... I have assigned the same web-based image to both HDBackgroundImageUrl and HDSmallIconUrl and their SD counterparts, and lo and behold it displays on HDSmallIconUrl! So, when the same web-based image is displayed in both HDBackgroundImageUrl and HDSmallIconUrl, all is well. However, if a different web-based image is assigned to HDSmallIconUrl, it will not display.

Oh... now that you say it like that - YES!

There is a bug that causes that. Really sneaky. I ran into it when i worked with roListScreen few months ago but did not bother to mention it since i already report way too many bugs "per capita". (Somebody may think i get paid to dig dirt on B/S)

My experience was that HDSmallIconUrl / SDSmallIconUrl do not show up unless i have set the same image in HDPosterUrl / SDPosterUrl. My un-educated guess of why this is happening would be that a cache akin to roTextureManager is used internally for the images and *SmallIconUrl fetches from there but does not pre-load URLs unlike *PosterUrl and *BackgroundImageUrl

By the way, HDSmallIconUrl / SDSmallIconUrl are not documented anywhere so one may argue you are not supposed to use them 🙂

PS. And on another note, HDPosterUrl / SDPosterUrl are also undocumented for roListScreen but might be actually the ones you want to use instead of HDBackgroundImageUrl / SDBackgroundImageUrl. I was startled to discover *PosterUrl @ roListScreen.

Interesting. Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it and I will try using the PosterUrl. Then I guess I would just set background and smallIcon to the same Url and it would display. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"EnTerr" wrote:
(Somebody may think i get paid to dig dirt on B/S)

You could:
https://www.roku.com/about/employment

- Joel
0 Kudos