Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lylyahiko
Visitor

Trickplay and BIF Files

https://blog.roku.com/developer/channel ... s-oct-2018
if I'm unable to generate BIF files can I just disable my trickplay progress bar and still pass certification?
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
lylyahiko
Visitor

Re: Trickplay and BIF Files

For anyone searching in the future. I got word back from Partner Success it is mandatory to have a trickplay bar for your VOD content.
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Thats weird because most channels do not have it. I had non hls channels that passed without it. Just watched Death Wish on PopcornFLix and none of theirs had it.
0 Kudos
lylyahiko
Visitor

I imagine it all depends on when the app was posted. I know sometime at the end of march Bif files will be mandatory. Any apps published before that date won't require it obviously.
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

"lylyahiko" wrote:
I imagine it all depends on when the app was posted. I know sometime at the end of march Bif files will be mandatory. Any apps published before that date won't require it obviously.

Interesting, that is going to create a lot of work for developers as the creating of bif files is a slow process. I can not imagine the amount of time if one has over 100 files let alone thousands of files.
Thanks for the heads up.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

It only takes about 5 seconds to make a bif file with a modern pc. - it can be entirely automated.  Most of the time above 5 seconds required would be downloading the source video to extract the frame images if you don't have a local copy.
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
It only takes about 5 seconds to make a bif file with a modern pc. - it can be entirely automated.  Most of the time above 5 seconds required would be downloading the source video to extract the frame images if you don't have a local copy.

WOW then Im doing something wrong. maybe amount of frames. Are you on a pc? Its weird because when i create thumbs using a third party app , youre right it is super fast but with the bif tool on a mac it was taking minutes per each video 😕
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I had submitted an entire package for windows to Roku about a year and a half ago to make available for users.  I just don't have the hosting space for it. The short solution is to download VirtualDub, use the resize filter to get your SD images at 240x180, change the framerate to 'decimate by 240' for 23.97 fps video, or 10 * the framerate, select File/Export Image Sequence - for a 2-hour movie on a current powerful pc that shouldn't take more than 5-10 seconds, and then the biftool.exe file can combine all the images in a folder in less than a second into a valid bif file. Or you can custom-compile ffmpeg to do it as well, but it's more complicated to get the codecs you want for inclusion. If you are going the virtualdub method there is a plugin available to add mp4 support, which you will need, just be sure to grab the older version as it is 2-3 times faster than the current one. FFInputDriver_64 - dated 5/26/2014 seems to work fastest for me. Virtualdub also has scripting support to automate from command line.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You're only making maybe 500 or 600 images with 10-second intervals, so it shouldn't be taking minutes unless you are trying to encode the source file again at the same time?  I don't know why it's so slow there for you.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Hmm... I'm with norcaljohnny. I've only used ffmpeg to extract the images and it will take several minutes for a 2 hr. movie on a quad-core i7. VirtualDub must be an order of magnitude faster and then some.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos