Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gil_Dawson
Channel Surfer

Testing in SD Mode

Upon inquiry, I learned that testing my channel for SD mode compliance can be done by placing my Roku device into 4:3 mode via Home -> Settings -> Display type... Unfortunately my 4200X - Roku 3 does not appear to have a 4:3 mode.

Which Roku device would you recommend that I purchase in order to test my channel for SD compliance?

--Gil
--Gil
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
lmarder
Visitor

Re: Testing in SD Mode

I use a Roku 2 Model 2720X. Allows you to switch to 4x3 standard, 16:9 widescreen, 720p HDTV, and 108p HDTV
Komag
Roku Guru

I thought "every" Roku could do SD mode. Maybe Roku 3 is the only one that doesn't?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"Komag" wrote:
I thought "every" Roku could do SD mode. Maybe Roku 3 is the only one that doesn't?

The Roku 3, Roku Streaming Stick, and Roku TVs are all limited to HD resolutions. I'm not sure about the new Roku 2, but I suspect it might be as well.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Gil_Dawson
Channel Surfer

Thanks, Imarder. I appreciate the recommendation.

--Gil
--Gil
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
The Roku 3, Roku Streaming Stick, and Roku TVs are all limited to HD resolutions. I'm not sure about the new Roku 2, but I suspect it might be as well.

Ah, those others make sense. And yes, reviews of the new Roku 2 confirm it only has HDMI just like Roku 3
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

This question was posted when the Platform Secret Screen feature supported the ability to fix the vertically stretched image, and it was called “Select all resolutions” or “Enable selecting all resolutions”.

Anyways, there is no way to have a 4:3 SD resolution on an HDMI only Roku model, not even when using the Bleiden HDMI to RCA converter, as that resolution seems to have been unsupported from the Platform Secret Screen feature, and the Bleiden HDMI to RCA converter might literally only convert the signal to the analog RCA outputs.

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos