Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljunkie
Visitor

Re: Testing device 4K capabilities

"EnTerr" wrote:
"ljunkie" wrote:
And really, every 4k device should already support that function because they'd be on the new firmware, right!? 😉

Wait a minute, there is a problem in that line of thinking - 4k and HEVC are not equivalent? It's "falacy of the converse" along the lines of:

1. if you own a building, you can put your name on it

2. many buildings have "Trump" on them

3. therefore Trump owns all these buildings!
... which we know is not the case, since "Trump" is a brand licensed for a fee.

In the same way 4k player => H.265 (HEVC), sure.
Why do you assume HEVC => 4k ?
I would expect better compression methods would make it to FHD too. After all, from ergonomic point of view, 4k TVs are bogus (unlike HDR)...

Yeah, I understand your reasoning. This just goes to show there is no fool proof way to know if a device is 4k capable. The only way right now is to make an assumption that could be wrong in the future. Right now we know 4k requires HEVC/VP9 and the only Roku TVs/players that support HEVC/VP9 also support 4k. We also know (now) that any device supporting FHD also supports 4k.. but in reality that can all change with future devices. I'm not downplaying this at all - I hope we have a better method to obtain the capabilities.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
Graphics resolution is separate than video resolution.  
FHD UI support =~= 4K video support, at least until such time as a specific feature test will be provided (in addition to the roDeviceInfo CanDecodeVideo tests). You can certainly check the other fields as you like, but checking name = "FHD" is sufficient for the foreseeable future.

Oh i see. Did not realize you were exploiting a side effect.
That's a real ugly kludge though. Do we have reasons to believe #3600 (new stick), #37xx (Espressos) and #42xx will not be getting the 1080 "graphics resolution"?

No need for complicated model number regex matching... that will be just be an approximation, as well as a ongoing maintenance commitment.

Aha! I see where your bias lies - you are thinking like a person which never had to go through the RokuCo's "channel approval process". You are thinking "it's so trivial to change your code and publish new version right away". That is not the case in reality though! The review process is slow, occasionally with bogus fix requests - and to top it off, sometimes the publishing at the end gets fracked up. I have experienced all 3 - and i bet you have experienced none of that, because you can just zip, upload and be done. We mere mortals can't though. I have had to wait months for a mere bundle signature, before can even upload for review. Months!!

If you were to  put yourself in my shoes - would you rather do a "maintenance commitment" to edit text file on a server when new model gets released - or would you rather go through the proper "channel publishing process" after new firmware unannouncedly breaks the check? As a reminder, the former will take 1 minute - the latter, between a week and months.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:

Do we have reasons to believe #3600 (new stick), #37xx (Espressos) and #42xx will not be getting the 1080 "graphics resolution"?

That is the case, as you can determine empirically.  
Note that I can't comment on anything future other than in a general sense, even if I knew about it.

I have had to wait months for a mere bundle signature, before can even upload for review. Months!!

I hear your pain 😞 and you should definitely talk to the developer support staff and developer evangelists about this issue, if it is ongoing.
From what I've heard, there shouldn't be any such delays (more than a few days at most) in modern times.
If that's not the case, I will happily relay that feedback and try to find out the issue.

If you were to  put yourself in my shoes - would you rather do a "maintenance commitment" to edit text file on a server when new model gets released - or would you rather go through the proper "channel publishing process" after new firmware unannouncedly breaks the check? As a reminder, the former will take 1 minute - the latter, between a week and months.

Again, while I understand your approach and commitment, it's not what I would personally do or recommend for any general developers.
I expect you participate in the firmware beta release program, so in the (hopefully rare) cases where backward-incompatible changes are found, those can be reported and dealt with in a reasonable fashion.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Hey guys - i just ran into some example code by the Co on detecting UHD!

Guess where it's strategically hidden? Right here
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... eckExample
0 Kudos