Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmarsden
Visitor

Testing device 4K capabilities

Is there a sure-fire way right now to determine if someone is using a 4K capable Roku device? I know it's the Roku 4+, but if in the future the model says Roku Ultra, or Roku 5, or Roku Streaming 4K Stick, etc... I'd have to account for that.

The getDisplayType() still shows HDTV as opposed to what one might think is UHDTV. 

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Testing device 4K capabilities

"johnmarsden" wrote:
Is there a sure-fire way right now to determine if someone is using a 4K capable Roku device?

It may not be the ideal solution, but I believe if you use roDeviceInfo.GetSupportedGraphicsResolutions() and look for an entry with name = "FHD" that corresponds to 4K video support.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Actually, "FHD" is 1080 and the 4k is "UHD" - no?

Just in case, here is hackie :twisted::
model_no = createObject("roDeviceInfo").getModel()   
' 44xx = roku 4, 46xx = Palmieres, 5xxx = HD RokuTV, 6xxx = UHD RokuTV '
i_can_haz_4k = model_no > "44" and left(model_no, 1) <> "5"
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

We have assumed any device that can support HEVC/VP9 will support 4K. If that is true, then this will work. Note you should wrap it with "FindMemberFunction".

if FindMemberFunction(device, "CanDecodeVideo") <> invalid then
   device = createObject("roDeviceInfo")
   supports4k = (device.CanDecodeVideo({codec: "hevc"}).result = true or device.CanDecodeVideo({codec: "vp9"}).result = true)
else
   ' fallback to model numbers since the current firmware doesn't support `CanDecodeVideo`
end if

You can also verify if the device is operating in 4k mode

is4k = (val(device.GetVideoMode()) = 2160)

Happy to know if there is a better way.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:

Not in this case. Graphics resolution supporting FHD is synonymous with video resolution supporting 4K, at this time.

I don't recommend making tests based on model number, as that will not work right later if not sooner. 😉
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"ljunkie" wrote:
We have assumed any device that can support HEVC/VP9 will support 4K.

That seems like a reasonable assumption.  You definitely need to make that as an 'OR' check though.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

Not in this case.  Graphics resolution supporting FHD is synonymous with video resolution supporting 4K, at this time.
I don't recommend making tests based on model number, as that will not work right later if not sooner.  :wink:

Um, wait... "everybody knows" that HD is 720, FHD is 1080 and UHD is 1920 vertically - are you saying that 3840x1920 gets mis-labeled as FHD?

If so, wouldn't checking for .height number be a better idea than the .name string? I mean, at least the number 1920 or 1080 should be correct, right?

And regarding checking by model# - no need to carve the recognized models in stone, could provision the app with a regex that decides based on model# (i.e. `createObject("roRegEx", is_4k_model_ptrn, "").isMatch(model_no)`). It requires some sophistication of periodic provisioning from central server - but for those who have done it for other reasons - okay, that's just another key for the JSON property bag and when the Co releases a new model, tweak a file on the server and stay merry. E.g. 
{..., is_4k_model: "^44", ... }
' oh noes, they released 4k model 6xxx, what we gonna do? ah okay: '
{..., is_4k_model: "^4[4-9]|^6", ... }
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:

Graphics resolution is separate than video resolution.
FHD UI support =~= 4K video support, at least until such time as a specific feature test will be provided (in addition to the roDeviceInfo CanDecodeVideo tests).

You can certainly check the other fields as you like, but checking name = "FHD" is sufficient for the foreseeable future.

No need for complicated model number regex matching... that will be just be an approximation, as well as a ongoing maintenance commitment.
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

"RokuKC" wrote:
"ljunkie" wrote:
We have assumed any device that can support HEVC/VP9 will support 4K.

That seems like a reasonable assumption.  You definitely need to make that as an 'OR' check though.

Yep, that's what I had in the quick code example.
if FindMemberFunction(device, "CanDecodeVideo") <> invalid then
    supports4k = (device.CanDecodeVideo({codec: "hevc"}).result = true or device.CanDecodeVideo({codec: "vp9"}).result = true)
else
    ' fallback to model numbers since the current firmware doesn't support `CanDecodeVideo`
end if

And really, every 4k device should already support that function because they'd be on the new firmware, right!? 😉
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"ljunkie" wrote:
And really, every 4k device should already support that function because they'd be on the new firmware, right!? 😉

Wait a minute, there is a problem in that line of thinking - 4k and HEVC are not equivalent? It's "falacy of the converse" along the lines of:

1. if you own a building, you can put your name on it

2. many buildings have "Trump" on them

3. therefore Trump owns all these buildings!
... which we know is not the case, since "Trump" is a brand licensed for a fee.

In the same way 4k player => H.265 (HEVC), sure.
Why do you assume HEVC => 4k ?
I would expect better compression methods would make it to FHD too. After all, from ergonomic point of view, 4k TVs are bogus (unlike HDR)...
0 Kudos