Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku PHP Remote

I feel dumb now, i never knew what the dvp remote was, haha

so i found it in the appstore and bought it, this is awesome, so will stick with this for now
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
japzone
Visitor

It would be a simple matter to setup an Authentication System so people would have to Log-In before they access the Server.
*Disclaimer*
I don't claim to be Undeniably Right. Most of my answers are based off of Pure fact, but Some are the Personal Opinions of Myself. Please take them in stride and don't Flame me if I get Something wrong.
0 Kudos
brandon15811
Visitor

"japzone" wrote:
It would be a simple matter to setup an Authentication System so people would have to Log-In before they access the Server.

Yeah, like where people could only control the Roku from the ip that they registered from, and would also be able to add authorized ips
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"brandon15811" wrote:
"japzone" wrote:

Yeah, like where people could only control the Roku from the ip that they registered from, and would also be able to add authorized ips

Locking down the website isn't a bad idea, but that doesn't address the fact that anyone can telnet directly to the open IP. 8080 is also a common administration port on routers and such, so there's a good possibility that random IP scanning scripts already out there will find the open port.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
brandon15811
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"brandon15811" wrote:
"japzone" wrote:

Locking down the website isn't a bad idea, but that doesn't address the fact that anyone can telnet directly to the open IP. 8080 is also a common administration port on routers and such, so there's a good possibility that random IP scanning scripts already out there will find the open port.

If you were really concerned about security, you could force people to use another port, like something in the 10000 and above range
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

I have to ask one thing is about this and I am done....

Why?? why would anyone bother to take over a roku remote? You would have to know that person is watching at that moment and without the "fun" of seeing someone go nuts as you change and FF movies, i feel the fun would wear off quickly...

But again I took it down and bought the DVP remote so were all good here....
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
brandon15811
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:

Why?? why would anyone bother to take over a roku remote? You would have to know that person is watching at that moment and without the "fun" of seeing someone go nuts as you change and FF movies, i feel the fun would wear off quickly...

Do you think you could add the buttons from the new remote to the iPhone interface, I suck at UI design
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"dynamitemedia" wrote:

Because you can. You can't apply reasoning to justify hacking activity... It doesn't work that way.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:

Why would someone launch Denial Of Service attacks? Why would someone create viruses that wipe strangers' disk drives? It's not really a question that I can answer, but people do do such things. In computer security, you work to prevent such things from happening even if the motivation for the malicious use isn't obvious.

--Mark
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

The real question is why is there an open telnet port without any kind of password protection sitting open there on my network? Seems to me they should have put in an SSH port instead.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos