Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandon15811
Visitor

Re: Roku PHP Remote

@pirate96
If you post a pic of the amazon keyboard, I'll add support for it

@dynamitemedia
I haven't been able to use it, but thanks for uploading it
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

@ brandon....

do you think the keyboard that comes native with roku you could get working as well?

I will upload here in a bit i am working on adding a few things to it first
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
brandon15811
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
@ brandon....

do you think the keyboard that comes native with roku you could get working as well?

I will upload here in a bit i am working on adding a few things to it first

Yeah, just give me a pic, but you cant use it for network configuration
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

"brandon15811" wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "can't use it for network configuration" ??

http://www.mediafire.com/?7oaw64t63hq33td

here is the package for anyone else who wants it....

I added it so that you can add your own IP or dyndns or No Ip settings...

i will get a pic of the keyboard tomorrow and we can see about getting the keyboard section working with the normal keyboard screen and not just the Amazon.

please test it out and leave comments.

edit : maybe someone can figure out how to stop the refresh of the page on the iPhone... it doesn't show on the webpage at all
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
brandon15811
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
"brandon15811" wrote:

i will get a pic of the keyboard tomorrow and we can see about getting the keyboard section working with the normal keyboard screen and not just the Amazon.

edit : maybe someone can figure out how to stop the refresh of the page on the iPhone... it doesn't show on the webpage at all

By network config, I mean configuring the wfi if you lost the remote when you go on vacation, and if you want to use the keyboard without pressing submit, you need to use ajax to send a request on an onkeyup event, and edit the keyboard script for one character, and also you need some way of storing the last keyboard position
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
"brandon15811" wrote:

I've done a TiVo network remote in PHP before, so I have some experience in this area. The TiVo and Roku network remote protocols are very similar.

Use ajax requests to eliminate refreshing.

There's one very good reason to not host remotely. Anyone who discovers the address can send commands to the Roku. It might not be possible to do any truly destructive damage, but they'll be able to do pause/fast forward/reverse, send you to the home screen, etc. Possibly while you are trying to watch something. At the VERY least, you should use basic authentication to password protect the page. But, if your desktop, iphone, and roku are all on the same network, then you could run the server on the desktop and access the remote from the iphone. Or just use one of the iPhone Roku remotes in the app store. If I had a bunch of network devices like the DS, and iPhone, and other handheld wifi browser devices, I'd definitely run the server(of course I have have several other servers running at any given moment already).

Regarding "network configuration": The Roku can't change network settings with network remotes because it disconnects itself from the network during the process, so you won't be able send commands at that point to finish the changes. The only recourse at that point is an IR remote.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
japzone
Visitor

"gonzotek" wrote:

Regarding "network configuration": The Roku can't change network settings with network remotes because it disconnects itself from the network during the process, so you won't be able send commands at that point to finish the changes. The only recourse at that point is an IR remote.

Which is why I keep begging Roku to add USB Keyboard Support. That way you can at Least Connect the Box to your Network and then use Other Means to Control your Roku (ie: iPhone App or This) in the case you lost your Remote. That way you don't have to wait for a new IR Remote to come in the mail, especially if you don't use the IR Remote much anyway.
*Disclaimer*
I don't claim to be Undeniably Right. Most of my answers are based off of Pure fact, but Some are the Personal Opinions of Myself. Please take them in stride and don't Flame me if I get Something wrong.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"japzone" wrote:
"gonzotek" wrote:

Which is why I keep begging Roku to add USB Keyboard Support. That way you can at Least Connect the Box to your Network and then use Other Means to Control your Roku (ie: iPhone App or This) in the case you lost your Remote. That way you don't have to wait for a new IR Remote to come in the mail, especially if you don't use the IR Remote much anyway.
That would be quite helpful for XR owners(and XD owners, when it comes out) , but what about the other models that don't have usb ports?
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
japzone
Visitor

"gonzotek" wrote:
"japzone" wrote:
"gonzotek" wrote:

That would be quite helpful for XR owners(and XD owners, when it comes out) , but what about the other models that don't have usb ports?

Well I can't think of any other way for the other boxes except having a 2nd Remote with Learning Functions already Set-Up.
*Disclaimer*
I don't claim to be Undeniably Right. Most of my answers are based off of Pure fact, but Some are the Personal Opinions of Myself. Please take them in stride and don't Flame me if I get Something wrong.
0 Kudos
YungBlood
Streaming Star

Personally, I'd like to see an IR keyboard. 🙂
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos