Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greid
Visitor

Telnet to 8080 fails (8085 works fine)

This is puzzling... I have been happily telnetting to port 8085 (debug) on my Roku, but cannot connect successfully at all on port 8080 (to run genkey). I've tried everything I can think of. It connects immediately, but no matter what I type, it drops the connection as soon as I hit return.

Has this happened to anybody else?
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
greid
Visitor

Re: Telnet to 8080 fails (8085 works fine)

To clarify further, I do not get any kind of prompt or serial number, nor any of my keystrokes echoed. I can type (seeing nothing echoed) but when I hit return, it drops. Here's what it looks like from a terminal window.

Silver-Tower.local: telnet 10.0.1.8 8080
Trying 10.0.1.8...
Connected to 10.0.1.8.
Escape character is '^]'.

Connection closed by foreign host.
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

I just bought a new Roku 3 (thinking that the HD I was developing with might be a tad old) but the same thing happens when I try it with the new, out-of-the-box Roku 3.

I can't get past this. I looked in my router settings to see if something was hijacking port 8080, but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions from anybody as to how to get to 'genkey' ?
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

Small revision to first post... My keystrokes are in fact echoed, but as soon as I hit Return (with or without typing anything) it disconnects immediately.

Silver-Tower.local: telnet 10.0.1.72 8080
Trying 10.0.1.72...
Connected to 10.0.1.72.
Escape character is '^]'.
genkey
Connection closed by foreign host.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Try doing a full factory reset (hold button in for 30 seconds or so). Then try putting in developer mode. Also, look at your router settings to be sure the problem isn't there.

- Joel
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

Thanks. I will give that a try although the Roku 3 is brand new and I just put it in developer mode.

Seems like it must be in the router but I don't see anything obvious in te settings.

Glenn
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

Okay, I'm frustrated now. I've tried this with two Roku boxes, two completely different subnets/routers, multiple computers, and I've hard reset one of the Roku's and reenabled everything from scratch. It still refuses to let me get to anything on port 8080.

Isn't there some other way to get a private channel published? Clearly my development Roku has nothing to do with the eventual channel, so it's just performing the genkey step. Isn't there a developer page that can do the same thing? There should be.

Thanks for any help on this!

Glenn Reid
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

have you checked your firewall on your computer? Maybe 8080 is blocked?

If using a PC, have you tried using the free Putty telnet client? Works very well.

- Joel
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

Thanks for your reply, Joel. Yes, I've checked the firewall and router settings multiple times. I'm on a Mac, and Firewall is "off" and ipfw has no restrictions:

sh-3.2# sudo ipfw list
65535 allow ip from any to any

and port 8085 works fine, for the debugger. It's just 8080 that is causing trouble. I tried connecting both the computer and the Roku to a hotspot app on my Android tablet, which creates a separate subnet, and got the same behavior. I think it's the Roku, not my configuration, but I can't think of what else to try.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

Just curious... have you tried telneting in from a different platform other than OSX? - i.e. Windows, Linux, etc?
You mentioned an Android tablet... same behavior telneting from there?
0 Kudos