Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayseattle

Taxes: No 1099MISC for 2015 sent (email or paper)

Last year I received a 1099MISC from Roku on 1/28/2015 via email. This year nothing sent email.

My email address is the same.

I did change my physical home address.

Did check my SPAM.

Did write to (per last years 1099MISC sent to my email):
Questions Regarding this Form? Contact:
Roku Inc
Patricia Ducote
408556-9040
accountspayable@roku.com

ANYONE ELSE?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Taxes: No 1099MISC for 2015 sent (email or paper)

We are only sending 1099-k form this year under new IRS rules, and that only goes to developers who brought in more than $20000 before revenue share in 2015.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Glad to hear RokuCo straightened themselves - 1099-K is the correct form to use for tax-year 2012 and later (per 2008 law, see TurboTax write-up). And per per IRS, "K" is to be furnished only for #transactions > 200 && grossReceipts > $20000 indeed.

Couple of years ago i was weirded out to hear the Co were sending 1099-MISC - because legalistically speaking, it's not RokuCo contracting developers to perform a service but the other way around, per contract "[Roku Inc will] perform the payment processing services corresponding to purchases of the Content [... and] retain a portion of the revenues received".

Note the use of different tax form does not imply change of tax situation. For sole proprietors (individuals) the income will still have to be reported on 1040 Schedule C form (regardless of the 1099 form type or if there is a form even), subject to business expenses and deductions. My personal understanding - not a professional tax preparer.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

not a professional tax preparer.

Too bad, I was going to ask if you could do my taxes for me.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Too bad, I was going to ask if you could do my taxes for me.

Ah! 🙂 I owe you a debt of gratitude, RokuJoel - but i can't in good conscience commend me doing somebody else's taxes.

It's true i took an accounting class (income tax fundamentals) like ten years ago and rejoyce knowing the difference between refundable and non-refundable tax credits, traditional IRA vs SEP IRA etc - things i have personally dealt with. Yet there is much bigger set i did not concern myself remembering - things like handling rental income, mortgage interest, capital gains, passive losses etc etc that tax preparer necessarily has to know.

I mostly use the online TurboTax these days. The wizard can be maddening but one learns shortcuts and one can excercise many different scenarios (e.r. retirement contributions) before paying up. And the state tax can be filled online for free at the state's Franchise Tax Board web.

Death and taxes...
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"EnTerr" wrote:
And the state tax can be filled online for free at the state's Franchise Tax Board web.

State tax? What's that? 😛
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos