Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yogamerge
Visitor

Stuck In Testing With Splash Screen Issue

Hey guys,

I'm stuck in testing with Roku because of a splash screen issue, Danny at Roku has been helping, I sent him my source as requested, but haven't heard back yet. I believe that Joel is also in the loop. Apparently, my images/manifest are fine, does anyone know of anything in the bright script code that would prevent the splash screen from working? According to Roku mine is just a white screen. I used the videoplayer app as my starting point.
Unfortunately, I have an older roku that doesn't display splash screens so it's impossible for me to even test it without submitting a new package to roku.
Looks like I may have to upgrade the roku, but it would be nice to have an idea of what would cause it not to work.
Hoping someone may have had the same issue?
Thanks much!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Stuck In Testing With Splash Screen Issue

By "older" player i assume you mean one with firmware 3. If so, i strongly recommend you get one with fw 5 from the last 3 years (past mid-2011) and test on it too. Considering there is a world of difference between fw3 and fw5, i feel it unfair to expect RokuCo to do the testing part for you (i'd have just flat-out refused to look at it until you confirm it working on fw5 - but i am hard-ass). More importantly it is likely your channel to have some idiosyncrasies on fw5, which you wouldn't want - after all most viewers have fw5 players.

If money is concern, go to slickdeals.net and search for Roku - periodically deals pop there, for example today there is great deal, new Roku 3 for $80 (or $70 refurbished - from my experience Roku refurbs are as good as new). From developers point of view - if limiting to 1 player only - "Roku 2 XS" is probably the best bet because of its support of non-HD video output (and almost identical internals to Roku Stick) but is probably hard to find now since discontinued.
0 Kudos
yogamerge
Visitor

Thanks for the feedback. I have no issues with updating my player, but in the end I still need some idea of what would cause the splash screen to not work, if the manifest and image files are all good, as opposed to wildly guessing at making changes to the bright script code. So I was just hoping to get a starting point.
As for Roku, they offered to take a look at it, I wasn't expecting them to do anything, but so far they've been very nice with trying to help out.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

There's no reason that I can think of that the Brightscript would interfere with the splash screen, so it's more likely there's an issue with the manifest or splash image(s). Can you post the manifest contents here?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
yogamerge
Visitor

Thanks TheEndless,

I think we may have it fixed, heard back from Roku, they said it appeared to be a trailing space character after the splash screen references in the manifest which was causing the issue. Weird thing is, I looked at the corrected manifest and couldn't see a difference when compared to the original, hopefully we're all set, will know soon. Thanks much.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"yogamerge" wrote:
I think we may have it fixed, heard back from Roku, they said it appeared to be a trailing space character after the splash screen references in the manifest which was causing the issue.

Thank you for the update, it's learning moment for me. Good catch by Joel&Co. Oh yeah, there it is, i can see it now. You posted the manifest earlier here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70646 and while i cannot see them outright, if i look at the browser HTML or hit "Quote" to reply - there is an extra space at the end of these two lines only, can "feel it" with the editor keys:
splash_screen_hd=pkg:/images/Splash_HD.png 
splash_screen_sd=pkg:/images/Splash_SD.png

Ha! I am surprised phpBB preserved the trailing spaces in your msg. Maybe RokuCo will change the manifest parser to trim trailing whitespace (though i see how it can be argued otherwise). Anywho, many text editors have that option too.
0 Kudos
yogamerge
Visitor

Hi Enterr,

You're right I can totally see the spaces now, awesome that Danny at Roku pointed that to me, doubt that I would have ever figured that one out. It's amazing how much you can learn in this forum and the Roku guys are super helpful
0 Kudos