Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brybott
Visitor

Star button on Roku Ultra

I've got a roVideoPlayer with custom controls. Pressing the star button brings up a dialog allowing users to turn on/off captions for a specific video, or tells the user if there are no captions available. The new Roku Ultra model  (and Premiere, but not the Express) has functionality that brings up a Roku dialog with global settings for closed captions as well as a couple other options. Is there a way to default to our own dialog? 

If not, is there a reason why different models get different experiences?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
ljunkie
Visitor

Re: Star button on Roku Ultra

"brybott" wrote:
I've got a roVideoPlayer with custom controls. Pressing the star button brings up a dialog allowing users to turn on/off captions for a specific video, or tells the user if there are no captions available. The new Roku Ultra model  (and Premiere, but not the Express) has functionality that brings up a Roku dialog with global settings for closed captions as well as a couple other options. Is there a way to default to our own dialog?

If not, is there a reason why different models get different experiences?

Same issue reported in the users section (with no official response yet)  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96840. Hoping this was an unintentional change. It's one reason we switched to the roVideoPlayer.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"ljunkie" wrote:
Same issue reported in the users section (with no official response yet)  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96840. Hoping this was an unintentional change.

+1. The (mis)handling of the Options button is a real issue.

It's one reason we switched to the roVideoPlayer.

Have you tried that vs RokuTV ?
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"ljunkie" wrote:
Same issue reported in the users section (with no official response yet)  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96840. Hoping this was an unintentional change.

+1. The (mis)handling of the Options button is a real issue.

It's one reason we switched to the roVideoPlayer.

Have you tried that vs RokuTV ?

Yeah, the RokuTV has always been affected as they globally overrode the info key for TV settings. In a perfect world, they would have included another button on the RokuTV remotes for that.. I know, crazy talk.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"ljunkie" wrote:
Yeah, the RokuTV has always been affected as they globally overrode the info key for TV settings. In a perfect world, they would have included another button on the RokuTV remotes for that.. I know, crazy talk.

In a current world, perhaps they can have a setting in the Manifest, no?
For the app to request "*" for itself.
0 Kudos
adamkaz1
Visitor

Here is my experience with this on the ultra:
1) press * while the video is loading -> you will get the old school menu
2) when the video starts playing, the new menu comes up too, but the placement of the video within the screen is messed up

This seems like a firmware bug to me.
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

"adamkaz1" wrote:
Here is my experience with this on the ultra:
1) press * while the video is loading -> you will get the old school menu

Yeah, it seems that they do not override the * button until the video actually starts and doesn't let go until the player stops.

"adamkaz1" wrote:

2) when the video starts playing, the new menu comes up too, but the placement of the video within the screen is messed up

I haven't experienced this yet.

"adamkaz1" wrote:

This seems like a firmware bug to me.

For the first time I am hoping it's a firmware bug.
0 Kudos
bmn
Visitor

I assume this has gone completely ignored by Roku as it happens frequently. I just found about this insanely stupid thing they did and I've been researching it and this is the last post I've found about it.

Anyone found a work-around for this?

P.D. I develop for several platforms and this is exactly why I hate developing for their idiosyncratic platform.
0 Kudos