Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedashford
Level 7

Set Roku to 4:3?

We're attempting to walk through the checklist for the Roku Channel Submission and realized I have no way that I know of to test the channel in 4:3 mode. I dont have an option to set my tv to a lower resolution and I cant find anything related to putting the roku in this mode. Any hints? I'd rather not have to find an old tube TV on craigslist just to test a 4:3 version of our channel...
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TheEndless
Level 7

Re: Set Roku to 4:3?

You don't need an SD television to test, just a Roku that supports SD. If you have a Roku LT, Roku 1, or a previous generation Roku 2, you can set the display to 4:3 via Settings->Display type.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Veeta
Level 7

To test SD, I use a $100 720p LED TV from best buy along with a Roku LT refurb from amazon for $40. The TV has composite inputs as well as HDMI. It's a nice setup for testing.
0 Kudos
Komag
Level 9

If you do pick up a old boob-toob TV for the cost of FREE on Craigslist or other local ads, just make sure it's not soooo old it doesn't even have RCA jacks! Then you'll also get a true test for SD overscan at the same time.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Level 9

Not to put a damper on buying hardware - even pony-express era hardware, but what the Roku checklist wants to know is how does it work on a Roku in 4:3 mode. Like Endless pointed out, all you need is a Roku that will do that - the TV is sort of err-elephant .
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Level 7

or you could solicit volunteers who do have SD TVs to test your channel privately before making a public submission.
https://github.com/belltown/
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

"squirreltown" wrote:
Not to put a damper on buying hardware - even pony-express era hardware

Hey did you know - I recently learnt - that Pony Express existed for only 18 months? And yet is remembered. Compared to that, GoogleTV existed for more than twice as long...

"belltown" wrote:
or you could solicit volunteers who do have SD TVs to test your channel privately before making a public submission.

It might be not that easy with the exotics. For example, i am looking right now for someone with MHL stick stuck in their "Roky-ready" TV and can't find a brave volunteer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
sonnykr
Level 7

Double buffered SD screens can be created like this:

CreateObject("roScreen", true, 720, 480)
0 Kudos