Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedashford
Channel Surfer

Set Roku to 4:3?

We're attempting to walk through the checklist for the Roku Channel Submission and realized I have no way that I know of to test the channel in 4:3 mode. I dont have an option to set my tv to a lower resolution and I cant find anything related to putting the roku in this mode. Any hints? I'd rather not have to find an old tube TV on craigslist just to test a 4:3 version of our channel...
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Set Roku to 4:3?

You don't need an SD television to test, just a Roku that supports SD. If you have a Roku LT, Roku 1, or a previous generation Roku 2, you can set the display to 4:3 via Settings->Display type.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

To test SD, I use a $100 720p LED TV from best buy along with a Roku LT refurb from amazon for $40. The TV has composite inputs as well as HDMI. It's a nice setup for testing.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

If you do pick up a old boob-toob TV for the cost of FREE on Craigslist or other local ads, just make sure it's not soooo old it doesn't even have RCA jacks! Then you'll also get a true test for SD overscan at the same time.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Not to put a damper on buying hardware - even pony-express era hardware, but what the Roku checklist wants to know is how does it work on a Roku in 4:3 mode. Like Endless pointed out, all you need is a Roku that will do that - the TV is sort of err-elephant .
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

or you could solicit volunteers who do have SD TVs to test your channel privately before making a public submission.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Not to put a damper on buying hardware - even pony-express era hardware

Hey did you know - I recently learnt - that Pony Express existed for only 18 months? And yet is remembered. Compared to that, GoogleTV existed for more than twice as long...

"belltown" wrote:
or you could solicit volunteers who do have SD TVs to test your channel privately before making a public submission.

It might be not that easy with the exotics. For example, i am looking right now for someone with MHL stick stuck in their "Roky-ready" TV and can't find a brave volunteer.
0 Kudos
sonnykr
Visitor

Double buffered SD screens can be created like this:

CreateObject("roScreen", true, 720, 480)
0 Kudos