Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dellsweig
Visitor

Security issue - password masking

I dont normally cross post but this may be a better forum for the OP

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... highlight=
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Security issue - password masking

As channel developers, you have the option to obscure the text with bullet characters in the text field as the user types characters with the on-screen keyboard. You control this behavior with the roKeyboardScreen method SetSecureText(bool isSecure).

Note that a black hat sitting next to you on the couch could still watch the on-screen keyboard as you pause on keys while hitting select on the remote. Take care 😉

The recommended box linking implementation avoids this entry of passwords using the on-screen keyboard.

We're aware of this problem from both a security and data entry perspective and we've looking to improve this process in the future.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
As channel developers, you have the option to obscure the text with bullet characters in the text field as the user types characters with the on-screen keyboard. You control this behavior with the roKeyboardScreen method SetSecureText(bool isSecure).

Note that a black hat sitting next to you on the couch could still watch the on-screen keyboard as you pause on keys while hitting select on the remote. Take care 😉

The recommended box linking implementation avoids this entry of passwords using the on-screen keyboard.

We're aware of this problem from both a security and data entry perspective and we've looking to improve this process in the future.

--Kevin

Kevin

Thanks for the response
0 Kudos
fstclair
Visitor

I just got my Roku yesterday and it was a (pleasant) dream to hook up even with WPA2 (NetFlix activation took a call to NF, but was resolved with an English-speaking, helpful person!)!

What is alarming is that anyone who goes to the setup menu can see the wireless network password -- an average fourth grader (perhaps one's own child or friend of same) has the ability to instantly hack into the security of a home's network. As to all those suggesting "screening" visitors invited into their homes, how many parents think about kids more computer literate than they are?

At the very least, please give an option to us "old folks" who are somewhat "computer literate" to be able to optionally hide the PW during setup (even if the default mode for "dummies" remains the display of the PW). IMHO, this should be a PRIORITY in the next upgrade of the software/firmware. Otherwise, why else would Roku have thought to build security into registering for this forum (e.g., embedded graphic code followed by a confirmation e-mail)? 😄

Great product so far (minus the huge security hole).

Thanks!
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"fstclair" wrote:
I just got my Roku yesterday and it was a (pleasant) dream to hook up even with WPA2 (NetFlix activation took a call to NF, but was resolved with an English-speaking, helpful person!)!

What is alarming is that anyone who goes to the setup menu can see the wireless network password -- an average fourth grader (perhaps one's own child or friend of same) has the ability to instantly hack into the security of a home's network. As to all those suggesting "screening" visitors invited into their homes, how many parents think about kids more computer literate than they are?

At the very least, please give an option to us "old folks" who are somewhat "computer literate" to be able to optionally hide the PW during setup (even if the default mode for "dummies" remains the display of the PW). IMHO, this should be a PRIORITY in the next upgrade of the software/firmware. Otherwise, why else would Roku have thought to build security into registering for this forum (e.g., embedded graphic code followed by a confirmation e-mail)? 😄

Great product so far (minus the huge security hole).

Thanks!

I agree completly

I do not want my kids - or anyone else in the house knowing my wireless access keys. I do banking, work from home, etc on my home network and DO NOT WANT my kids friends laptop accessing my network. I use firewalls, openDNS filters and access lists to prevent issues on my network.

Having my WPA key in clear text on the TV available to anyone who want to see is not acceptable.

Maybe an option would be to passcode protect the setup screens?? Require an administrative PIN to access the setup screens
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

I've opened a bug for this.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote: