Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Screenshots

I played around with this a bit and it is a very nice feature. Definitely still some bugs to work out, but the value of it is high.

As a request, how difficult would it be to enable this for normal channels (not just the side-loaded ones)? Some functionality may require a signed package in order to work.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

We're only enabling this for side-loaded channels to protect content owner's rights to their content.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I don't see that as very much of any 'protection' since I can connect my 1978 VCR pre-macrovision, to record a video from the tv and then grab every frame that gets shot across. It's more of a minor inconvenience than protection.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
I don't see that as very much of any 'protection' since I can connect my 1978 VCR pre-macrovision, to record a video from the tv and then grab every frame that gets shot across. It's more of a minor inconvenience than protection.

It removes the liability from Roku.
"RokuKevin" wrote:
We're only enabling this for side-loaded channels to protect content owner's rights to their content.

--Kevin

What about allowing screenshots if you have the key/password?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

That's a good idea TheEndless - maybe a password entry screen added to a roku utility page. It would help with channel bug reports filed by users if they could take a screenshot of the channel they're running and send it to the developer.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
Discovered it myself this weekend. Very handy, indeed! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with grid screens, or rather, it only captures the overlays (poster frame, description bubble, and overhang), but not the actual posters. 😞

We're still pretty early in the beta period and this particular feature is not yet done.

Pleased to report that the screenshot feature works with grid screens in the latest update!
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

"destruk" wrote:
It would help with channel bug reports filed by users if they could take a screenshot of the channel they're running and send it to the developer.

Taking that one step further, perhaps a page that lets you screenshot the current running application, but the screenshot is sent to a developer email (specified in the manifest) rather than being directly accessible. That way developers can easy screenshot their applications AND screenshots can be sent by end users to the developer of problems.
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Very cool!! How do you get it to clear and take another screenshot? I got it to take one, but then when I change screens and try to take another, nothing happens.

Is this a bug or am I missing a "clear" command or something?

Thanks!!
Bud
0 Kudos

"brocker" wrote:
when I change screens and try to take another, nothing happens.

Which browser are you using? It could be a cache problem with the browser since the image is likely to be named the same. Try an F5 refresh to see if you can force it to reload the image.
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Visitor

Just a heads up:

- You can now add screenshots for your published channels on the Roku Developer website. This seems to work for both public and private channels.
- You can view these screenshots in the Channel Store. For an example, see Omniverse TV.

Pretty cool!
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos