Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibscas
Visitor

Saving Files on the Roku

Hello, I'm developing an app and was wondering if the only place you can save or create files is in the tmp:/ volume? I can write there without any problems but if I try to use my own structure, i.e., pkg:/storage, I am unable to write there it would seem. Can someone tell me the limitations in this regard? I know the tmp:/ volume clears each time you leave the channel but I want some content to stay on the device if possible.

Fortunately the language is pretty simple and I've been able to just troll here for answers but this one has me stumped!

Thank you!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
ibscas
Visitor

Re: Saving Files on the Roku

I think I answered my own question, I stumbled upon something in the documentation just now:

tmp - temporary file storage device for the application
pkg - root of the application directory that provides read-only access to files provided in the pkg

No way around this then? It seems I've also read that you cannot save to external USB drives either, is the only solution to save to tmp:/ and consume what you need and just accept that whatever you download will need to be downloaded each time the channel is run?
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

0 Kudos
ibscas
Visitor

About what I figured. Thank you.
0 Kudos