Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slingxshot
Streaming Star

SD/FHD/HD App Submission

Hello,

I am designing my app in FHD. I was wondering if it will be a problem submitting an app without HD and SD configurations?

I don't see any point supporting anything lower than 1080 in US market.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: SD/FHD/HD App Submission

All three resolutions are required to support unless you discuss Roku making an exception in your specific case.  partners@roku.com
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

If you design your RSG app for HD and manifest ui_resolutions=hd, that should work fine in SD/FHD as well.
If you design your RSG app for FHD and manifest ui_resolutions=fhd, that should work fine in SD/HD as well.
If you forget to declare ui_resolutions, the app will have issues in one of the modes and be bounced from certification.

Advantages of designing for HD is smaller image file sizes (2x as a rule of thumb) and hence 1/2 the traffic - and that it fits better the current UI resolution usage (most players do UI in HD, that's not the same as setting display to FHD).
Advantage of designing for FHD is future-proofing your app: if you won't re-do the assets during the next year or two - go for FHD outright. 
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"slingxshot" wrote:
I don't see any point supporting anything lower than 1080 in US market.

For what it's worth, my latest stats for one of my games shows about 9% of users are using a display setting of something other than HDTV (16:9 anamorphic or 4:3 standard).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos