Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Roku2 "start of play" status message

I just noticed that if audio is paused and then resumed, there is no "start of play" status message. Previous versions of the firmware produced an isResumed message as well as the "start of play" status message.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku2 "start of play" status message

This was a problem in earlier builds, but should be fixed. I am seeing the "start of play" message as expected in 4.1b1256 right now.
0 Kudos
renojim

Hmm... I'm on build 1259 (beta). I thought maybe it was intentionally removed and wanted to point it out to anyone that might be using it.

-JT

0 Kudos

"RokuChris" wrote:
This was a problem in earlier builds, but should be fixed. I am seeing the "start of play" message as expected in 4.1b1256 right now.

The "start of play" does occur for the first time that the song starts up. It doesn't occur if you use Pause() and then Resume(). I'm unable to test on the latest beta right now, but the distinction between initial start and pause/play may be the missing piece here.
0 Kudos
renojim

Right. It's only on a resume that the "start of play" message no longer occurs.

-JT

0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I'm a little confused. Looking at the code in my audio based channels, I've always used the "start of play" message to reset my playback timer, and don't recall ever getting an invalid reset after a pause/resume. Are you sure the "start of play" message used to happen with a resume? I thought that was what the isResumed() event was for.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim

I've always used the "start of play" message because the isResumed event didn't appear until v2.6 of the firmware. It definitely occurs for v3.0 and below along with isResumed. I noticed the problem when I got my Roku 2 and my audio progress bar was no longer working properly after a pause/resume.

I thought that maybe it was intentionally changed because it could be argued that "start of play" should only occur at the beginning of a song, but Chris' comment implies otherwise.

-JT

0 Kudos

I can also confirm this. The "start of play" definitely happened in 3.0 software after a Resume. I was also using it to fire off particular events in my code.
0 Kudos