Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pirey4
Visitor

Roku player responding to multiple IP addresses

One of my Roku players (runing 2.5 software) is responding to 2 different IP addresses. I initially ran across this using autodiscovery in my iPhone remote control app. I thought there was a bug in it since it found 3 players on my LAN since I only have 2. The problem is that I am able to ping all 3 IP addresses from other machines on my network. I can flush the arp cache then re-ping the same IP addresses and both respond. The same entries (shown below) with identical MAC addresses show up in the ARP table again.

From the ARP table on my Mac:

? (192.168.1.177) at 0:d:4b:41:72:e on en1 ifscope [ethernet]
? (192.168.1.189) at 0:d:4b:41:72:e on en1 ifscope [ethernet]

The other strange thing is that neither of these addresses shows up in the DHCP table on my router. No, I don't have multiple DHCP servers running on my network. The only one is the is in the router that doesn't have the addresses above listed in it.

A friend of mine was seeing similar behavior with my app but attributed it to a $10 router he was using. He didn't seem to have the problem after he replaced it. My router is a DLINK DGL-4100.

Thanks,

phil
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Roku player responding to multiple IP addresses

I'm not aware of any bug on the Roku box where it responds to ICMP requests to multiple ip addresses....

The only way to assign the Roku box an IP address is through DHCP.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
pirey4
Visitor

I let the player run for almost a week with multiple IP addresses assuming that the DHCP assigned addresses would timeout after 24 hours and one of them would not get renewed. After 6 days, the player was still responding to multiple IP addresses. I cycled power on the Roku and the player went back to normal responding to a single IP address. I've done lots of testing with the automatic player discovery feature of my app and have not seen this problem before. I have had others report it, however. In addition to my app having the ability to control the player using multiple IP addresses, I could telnet to the box using multiple IP addresses on different computers (one iMac and one PC).

I'll let you know if I run into it again. If I do, is there any data you would like me to record?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Were both addresses in the range of addresses assigned by your DHCP server?

--Mark
0 Kudos
pirey4
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Were both addresses in the range of addresses assigned by your DHCP server?

--Mark

The DHCP range on my router is from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199. Both addresses the Roku was responding to were within this range. Also, the router's DHCP lease time is 1440 seconds and "Always Broadcast" is set.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

This should not happen, but I'm just curious if it is possible one ipaddr is for wired and one for wireless?

--Kevin
0 Kudos
pirey4
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
This should not happen, but I'm just curious if it is possible one ipaddr is for wired and one for wireless?

--Kevin

I don't think so since the MAC address associated with both IP addresses is the same and it is the one for the wired port.

This happened again the other day but this time to my other Roku box. It only happens every now and then but often enough to get support emails asking why someones Roku Player is showing up on multiple IP addresses.
0 Kudos
MrReis

I have a Roku Ultra that I set up to use the wired network and now it is using the wireless network and has two ip address (192.168.1.248 + 192.168.1.249) with the same MAC (D8:31:34:5B:AB:36). At some time I must have also had a wireless connection setup since the Roku device is now setup using the wireless network connection. I did not make he change from wired to wireless network connection on the Roku device.

0 Kudos