Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WillEV
Visitor

Roku TV ECP commands & power state

It doesn't look like the power control/input select commands have been added to the ECP document. I know I could just fire up wireshark and figure them out, but figured that having them documented here wouldn't hurt.

It would also be *amazing* if we could configure the wireless adapter not to turn off. I use an IP control system to control my home, and needing to put an IR emitter on the front of an all-IP device just so I can turn it on would be super irritating. Or can I plug in an ethernet cable and have that stay live all the time?
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
WillEV
Visitor

Re: Roku TV ECP commands & power state

ECP commands were easy enough to guess.

Any comments from Roku on whether there's any way to keep the wireless adaptor live? It would make the TV infinitely more useful for me.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"WillEV" wrote:

Any comments from Roku on whether there's any way to keep the wireless adaptor live?

You might try the Setting options under System / Power / Auto power off and disable it (turn off the checkboxes).
0 Kudos
WillEV
Visitor

"RokuKC" wrote:
"WillEV" wrote:

Any comments from Roku on whether there's any way to keep the wireless adaptor live?

You might try the Setting options under System / Power / Auto power off and disable it (turn off the checkboxes).

That's not what I'm looking for; that just stops the TV from turning off when it is on for X minutes/hours.

What I'm looking for is a way to stop the TV from going into deep sleep mode where the WiFi gets turned off 12 minutes or so after the TV gets powered off. I'd be more than happy for this not to be the default behavior, but it would be great if there could be another option in that menu "keep WiFi alive" so that IP control systems (including the Roku app) could power on the TV.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"WillEV" wrote:

What I'm looking for is a way to stop the TV from going into deep sleep mode where the WiFi gets turned off 12 minutes or so after the TV gets powered off. I'd be more than happy for this not to be the default behavior, but it would be great if there could be another option in that menu "keep WiFi alive" so that IP control systems (including the Roku app) could power on the TV.

Sorry, that is not an available option to my knowledge. When the Roku TV is off it is by design not running networking and IP control systems.
0 Kudos
WillEV
Visitor

"RokuKC" wrote:
"WillEV" wrote:

Sorry, that is not an available option to my knowledge. When the Roku TV is off it is by design not running networking and IP control systems.

Is there any way to request that this is added?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

A feature like this could have serious consequences, by increasing the average power usage of the TV. For example, it might cause it to fail Energy Star certification, which would be a non-starter. Even if it didn't, I think the decision makers would want to hear a pretty compelling use case to justify doing something like this.

--Mark
0 Kudos
WillEV
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
A feature like this could have serious consequences, by increasing the average power usage of the TV. For example, it might cause it to fail Energy Star certification, which would be a non-starter. Even if it didn't, I think the decision makers would want to hear a pretty compelling use case to justify doing something like this.

--Mark

I'd be more than happy for the default behavior for the TV have this be off, and make it a user selectable option. It basically renders the "roku-ness" of the TV all but useless in a control system environment, as there's no discrete IR codes for each input. If it was always live on the network, I'd accept a power increase in response to making the TV always able to be controlled. Without being able to turn it on over IP, the IP control doesn't get me anything.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:

The use case is: being able to turn RokuTV "on" over IP, the way it can be turned off already. A forward step in the "connected home" trend.

When they discover the power button in teh "Roku" remote app can be used to turn off the TV but not to power it up, the typical user reaction is:
[spoiler=WAT:5wvoaokg][/spoiler:5wvoaokg] - i.e. is counter- "principle of least astonishment".

A "proper" implementation may require some variety of Wake-on-LAN, be it wireless or wired-only. But how much energy would a RokuTV consume with screen off and working LAN, i wonder? (Not being a hardware guy,) it's my belief TV sets stay in sleep mode when turned off anyway, because of listening to the IR remote sensor. Maybe LAN adaptor does not consume much - or does it? (It can be an opt-in setting, as WillEV proposed).
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
But how much energy would a RokuTV consume with screen off and working LAN, i wonder?

I tried measuring and what i see is:
  • 49 W working

• 13 W in light-sleep mode (~10 mins after remote power-off)

• 0 W thereafter
0 Kudos